steering wheel removal

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
bobc
Captain
Captain

steering wheel removal

Post by bobc »

Is it possible to remove the plastic steering wheel from a CCKW without breaking it? I removed the horn button and the big nut but I don't see any holes like a modern steering wheel for pulling the wheel. I soaked it good with PB and used a chisel to tap around the top but I can't get the taper to release,I'm sure the old timers have a secret,please enlighten me!
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I was lucky when I replaced the steering wheel on my old truck. It was all broken up, the old hard rubber was mostly gone and it was really rusted, but after removeing the nut, a little tapping on the bottom of the steering wheel it came off. I had soaked it in WD40 for two or three days, squirting some more on it every time I walked by.
There is not real place to use a wheel puller. I feel sure Joel will have an answer for you. I have restored only one CCKW. he has done many. Good luck.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
bobc
Captain
Captain

steering wheel removal

Post by bobc »

It amazing what you can learn from a tech manual,I just bought one on ebay and have been thumbing through it,it's the April 44 version and it only shows open cabs,but it has alot of interesting items,one of which shows how they pulled the steering wheel,they show a wooden wheel but the idea should work fine for the plastic wheel also,they have a metal ring with threaded sleeves that assembles around the coloum then use a puller to pull on it,now to find a suitible substitute that will take enough pulling to get the wheel off.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Those old tech manuals are great. They are also written is such a manner they are easy to understand. One must keep in mind that the soldiers of WWII were the children of the Great Depression and a lot of them did not have the luxuary of a lot of education, as they had to work to help to support their families. The tech manuals were written for them.
You can't operate a CCKW without the right Tech Manuals. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Easy to understand? Think again. Look at all the questions on this site.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS