new fuel tank for 353 CCKW

Questions and requests about Technical Repairs of the CCKW
bud44750
Private

new fuel tank for 353 CCKW

Post by bud44750 »

I recently pulled a 1942 CCKW dump winch out of the woods in Washington State. It no longer had the issue fuel tank but a round oil drum instead. I'd like to build a reproduction and would appreciate any tips on dimensions, fabrication tips etc.
mudflap
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: new fuel tank for 353 CCKW

Post by mudflap »

Hi Bud44750,

That would be a really cool metal fabrication project...

Awhile back I saw a post where a guy made a set of tanks out of stainless steel. His particular truck required two (don't remember the exact application - a wrecker, maybe), but it had a left and right tank that were very similar in configuration to the tank on a CCKW.

I'll take a look through my notes and bookmarks to see if I can dig up that link.

I can also measure the tank on my truck and pass along the dimensions.

Best Regards...

p.s. Your dump is a 353, correct? Fuel tank on the right side?
bud44750
Private

Re: new fuel tank for 353 CCKW

Post by bud44750 »

Yes, I finally have it home and found 5 stuck valves and 4 stuck liters so that's what I've been dealing with lately. I really would like to get back to the gas tank fabrication for the winter project if you ever found that URL for the tank fabrication or have any dimensions to get started with.
bud44750
Private

legs for cckw ring mount

Post by bud44750 »

Just acquired a ring mount with no legs for my 1942 CCKW open cab. Looking for legs .will M135 truck legs fit or can they be adapted?