*** Chevy article in MV magazine ***

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

*** Chevy article in MV magazine ***

Post by dr deuce »

I got my Aug MV Mag and it was on Chevy's. Nice pix in there, but some incorrect information for newbies IMHO.

The claim that an unmodified Chev with a dipper engine can go 50-55 mph is plain wrong. At 48 mph, the engine is at the perscribed of 3100 rpms. At 55 mph, it is at 3550 rpms or 114% of rated top speed. Not a good idea with one of those engines. Those engines are not fond of 48 mph, let alone anything faster...

It also states that they all had hydrovacs. Wrong again. They had Y, Z, and N models. On the early Y models, only the tractors had a hydrovac. All others did not.

The picture that they claim is a Chev with split axles has a CCKW bumper. If it has only one rear axle, it is probably a Memphis Equipment modified CCKW that was cut down to a single axle. Memphis did some of these after the war though it would have been an odd duck with a split front end and transfer and a banjo (chev) rear end due to the axle leaf spring mounting.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
daveyboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by daveyboy »

I too read the inaccurate material in that article. Man, I got a full pressure in my truck and I know that motor is screaming at 48 mph. I cant inmagine a "dipper' moving the truck past that,

as well, I noticed this article (or was it another article in the same magazine) is mearly a re-print of the exact same article written a few years back!

come on MV mag... cant we at least modify the story a bit to add something to the information already out there rather than just re-printing the same article word for word?

Ill tell ya.. I wish someone would print a story on a restoration of one of these fine trucks. All we ever see is jeep restorations.

It would be neat to see a story of the different bed configurations ( dump, cargo, early vs. late, wood and metal as opposed to all metal)
and the progression of bed design (cast hooks to formed steel wire hooks to stamped steel hooks)

Maybe even on the wooden airborne type.

now that would make for some good reading!
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Here's a couple of spottin' features :wink:
Look at the front cover.... the Chevy is sportin' an "early " production grill guard ( serpentine ) ....Later production fuel filler neck ( large cap with fuel tank vent tube )...and I believe a later style cargo bed ( with the square upper corner ( as opposed to the earlier rounded corner model )

John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
daveyboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by daveyboy »

I just happened to re-read that article, and boy, was there a lot of mis-information or am I wrong?

for instance, the very first picture shows what appears to be a chevy, with a SPLIT front diff.

I have always thought that ALL chevy 4x4 1.5 ton trucks had the BANJO only axles installed.

true or not true? ( Dr Duece hit on this one too)

Second, another photo shows a close up of the drivers side front brake hose. The author mentioned in the caption something about "IT clearly has air brakes" on it.

What was he/She refering to? It looks like a simple rubber flex brake line to me.. Is this rubber line the item that made the author beleive this truck had air brakes, or am I missing somerthing here as well?

Thoughts?

Anyone else see anything else out of place, or incorrect information in this article?

its too bad... There arent enough articles written to begin with on these trucks.
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Concerning Mr. Turchet's article there are several errors especially to those of us who have restored a Chevy 1 1/2ton
Some of the captions and photos are incorrect as well
But...all in all it does a fairly decent job of aquainting the reader with the G-506 series
I found the " In Action" article by Ms.Moss on pg 53 to be very informative ,however.

John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900