The frame off restoration is begin

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

The frame off restoration is begin

Post by m38cdnbill »

Hello All,

Last week-end, I began the works on my Chevrolet and all the front of the truck was unsettled. We also took out the radiator, the engine and the transmission. About the front, the radiator is not the good one and the shroud and the radiator support/grill mounts are not there. Furthermore, the bracket on the base of this radiator support has been cutted. Finally, the hood is rust true at many place and not very rebuildable. Well, more works than foreseen but nothing hard to do for a G506 enthousiast.

Small anecdote when I unsettled the dash and the header inside the cab, there were incredible piles of mice dung mixed with pisses and pieces of canvas. The acidity of this mixture had begun to make rusty sheet metals. I understand why seats were full of holes. The next picture show me beside the truck and the temperature was really cold at the time of taking this picture.
Yesterday evening, I unsettled parts of the dash board and three data plates were still on the header. Unfortunaly, two of them (Shifting diagram and Maximum road speeds) are unreadable. The third one is in good shape and we can read "ANNISTON" in the upper line. In the middle line, it's write "US-AN 19957" (the number has been punched) and in the lower line it's write"ORDNANCE DEPOT". On this next picture, it will be possible to see this plate and maybe that somebody could give me explanations onto its origin.
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Bonne chance avec le restoration!

Post by Canadian Gunner »

Salut Bill!

T'a un bon char, la!

The plate is from Anniston Ordnance Depot and likely reflects a rebuild at some time in the truck's life. US-AN is United States Army/Navy. You frquently see AN-PRC XX as a type of radio where the army and navy standardised and bought the same thing. I have no idea what its application to your truck is other than my previous speculation about a rebuild.

Frank von Rosenstiel has tons of parts for the 1 1/2 ton Chev as well as the 2 1/2 ton GMCs. You can find him here: http://www.omva.ca/contact.htm

Bonne chance avec le vieux bagnole!

Cheers, Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by m38cdnbill »

Salut Mike,

Happy of your reply. Marie-Christine (Yes! a woman who own a CCKW 352) from french GMC / CCKW website http://cckw.forumactif.fr/ gave me the link of Anniston Ordnance Depot yesterday evening. We can have acces at this website by clicking this link: http://www.anad.army.mil/history.shtml

I will send a message at the webmaster of this Internet site to ask if it's possible to find the SN of my truck with the number punched on this plate.

I know Frank and I sent a message this morning for him.

Cheers from eastern of you

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
Cat Man
Major
Major

Chev rebuild

Post by Cat Man »

Hey Bill,

That data tag is not a truck rebuild tag. The Anniston Depot is a huge ordnance facility were ammunition of all sorts was stored and shipped to various theaters of operations. A sort of mega huge ammo dump. They don't rebuild trucks there.

Cargo trucks like yours were assigned to these facilities on a permenent basis. Also civilian models like the International K series trucks and others. The tag would indicate that the truck at one time worked in the depot, probably hauling smaller quantities of bullets, shells, rockets or whatever from the many scattered earth covered storage bunkers to the rail head to fill orders from the "front".

Civilian contactors often operate these facilities and the data tags help identify equipment assigned to the depot as opposed to regular military truck units or ordnance units moving on and off the facility with tactical vehicles. Other equipment like fork lifts that stay at the depot also have tags like this.

So your truck is a real true "Southern Belle". Press the horn button and see if it plays "Way Down South Dixie"?

Great trucks, owned some, sold some and always wish I had kept one.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
m38cdnbill
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Chev rebuild

Post by m38cdnbill »

Cat Man wrote:So your truck is a real true "Southern Belle". Press the horn button and see if it plays "Way Down South Dixie"?

Great trucks, owned some, sold some and always wish I had kept one.

Cat Man
Hi Cat Man,

"Southern Belle" I like that and it's a beautiful name to paint on this truck. Thanks for these informations.

Cheers from Canada

Guy
Guy aka M38CDNBill
1945 Willys MB
1942 Chevrolet G7107
Barry Churcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Barry Churcher »

Bonjour Guy
If there is anything you need from Frank I can pick it up for you for when you come for your visit.
Barry
1944 Chev. C15TA
DAF YA314 ----- Chev. G506
Ford F15A (4)
Chev C15A (2)
Ben Hur Fuel Transfer
Polynor Trailer
Drone Winch Trailer
GE Searchlight
Nekaf
1953 M38A1
Telephone Reel Hand Cart