Chevrolet seats

General Discussion about the WW2 Chevy Trucks 2 and 4 wheel drive. Technical aspects should be discussed the the CCKW Tech forum. Forsale/Wanted should be addressed in the CCKW Forsale or Wanted catagory
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Chevrolet seats

Post by dr deuce »

There are many differences, subtle ones that is between the CCKW and Chevrolet.

One of them is the seat back mounting and connections.

On the CCKW closed cab, the top of the seat back is hooked into the beltline reinforcing member and the bottom of that seat back is bolted to the vertical reinforcing member one on each side.

On the Chevrolet, the seat back top is hooked the same way, but the bottom has a finger that hooks into the rear of the seat bottom.

There are two problems with the Chevrolet system that the CCKW does not have:

1. It is difficult to install the seat back. You have to get the hook started at the top while trying to guide the finger on the bottom into the seat bottom.

2. Even worse, because of this arrangement, if you hit a bump, many times the fingers in the bottom of the seat back will unhook from the seat bottom. When this happens, the bottom of the seat back moves way back and the driver is forced into a somewhat folded over position. It is not nice!

There is an easy fix for this seat back problem: Remove the seat back and drill out the rivets holding the fingers onto the seat back. Get a couple of short pieces of 2x4 for each side and screw them together to make a 4x4 and screw this assy to the back of the seat back where the rivet holes are. This will allow the seat back bottom to assume a position front to back as determined by the 4x4's resting upon the vertical reinforcing brackets in the back of the cab.

I have done this to a couple of both mil and civy Chevys. You can then drive happily along and not say ()*^&*&%$$@ when you hit a bump and the fingers disconnect.....
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Robin
Private First Class
Private First Class

seat back

Post by Robin »

I agree that the seat back is tough to install. What were they thinking? If you need to access any tools under the seat, the back unhooks from the seat and is tough to put back right. I didn't know about the part that a bump in the road could cause it to unhook. I just got my first Chevy 3 weeks ago, and haven't driven her yet.