SPRING'S HERE

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

SPRING'S HERE

Post by joel gopan »

It is time to take a peek into the Master Cylinder and check the fluid, and to give the Hydrovac a shot of "LO". This is the same oil used in the hydraulic front shock absorbers. Permatex Hydraulic Jack Oil is tailor made for this, it is noted on the container that it is also Shock Asorber Oil. It is available over the counter at most good suppliers of Permatex Products in Quarts or Gallons. Gotta tell ya, I fired up my CCKW yesterday after a long winter, and it felt good to hear the friendly 270 purr smoothly. The first trip out is always interesting, sometimes the 4-5 upshift, and 5-4 downshift need a little practice, it all comes back after the first couple of shifts in level going. I am careful when shifting, but seem to grind it :roll: when the wife takes a rare spin with me. There are other fluids to check also, but my thing is to stress SAFETY.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Agreed Joel, it always fun to fire it up and take that first spin. I also notice that she begins to limber up a little. That steep hill that required a shift into 3rd near the top is not done in 4th gear, and last saturday in 5th gear. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans