Composite bed photos

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Composite bed photos

Post by blackdog »

Could anyone supply a set of "walkaround" photos of a composite CCKW bed? I need pics of the way it mounts to the frame, and of the toolbox primarily...

Requesting these in advance because I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out how this bed I disassembled goes back on... :shock: should have taken more photos!
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by blackdog »

Since 'yall seem to be so enthused about the subject, I figure I may as well post some progress photos:

Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Nice Work Brian...

You have gotten farther than I have. I tore out the old rotted bed on mine last summer and have since gotten side tracked. You know the new job got in the way.

I have to partially replace one of the frame rail boards due to rotting. It is about 8 2x4 oak pieces glued together 5 feet long

Mine is a split bed so the seam is in the middle of it..

What did you use for lumber for the deck. I have priced ash. $$$$$

Keep us informed.

Bill
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by blackdog »

I used glued oak that was in 20' sections that the Mechanized Museum had already, cut it to fit, almost didn't have enough. Can't remember where it came from... for the sideracks I used pine because I had to buy it with my own money, and for the bed-to-frame-rail wood I think I'm going to be using douglas fir. If the museum had money and if I had the time I would have gotten the bed sandblasted, and I would have varnished the wood, but we've got about 9000000 other projects in the works and I want to have this truck finished by the 4th of July parade... this weekend (Saturday, on June 30th)... !!!!! We just finished painting an M123 tractor yesterday and it looks SWEET... haven't taken any pictures yet though, about to go up to Camp Pendleton for a retirement ceremony where it will make it's debut towing a 40 ton trailer with an M110 self propelled howitzer on it....

Brian
blackdog
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by blackdog »

Wide on your screen and wide on the road :D