CCKW Trackable History?

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
AussieSheila
Draftee

CCKW Trackable History?

Post by AussieSheila »

Hi! I'm a US citizen travelling around the world. I am in Australia and friend has asked if I would take some time to find out some history on a Troop Carrier that he has. I do not even know if this is possible, but I thought this website might be able to tell me.

He has given me the chassis #: CCKW 352 31123 A1 224

On the inside of the hood the #'s that are sprayed there are: CCKW 352A.

Is it possible to find out where this truck was during the war? If so, where can I go to find it out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was just given, what he is guessing to be, the engine # 270329049, if this helps.
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

That chassis no identifies the truck as a short wheelbase cargo version without winch fitted with timken (split) axles. The SWB version was designed as a gun tractor to tow the 105mm gun howitzer and would normally have been used by a field artillery regiment. Unfortunately there is no way of tracing the individual history of a vehicle although occasionally it is possible to identify the unit the truck servrd with by careful sanding if the front and rear bumpers hoping to find the original unit markings, however this is not necessarily conclusive as the truck will probably have been rebuilt at some time and will not necessarily have it's original bumpers. Hope this helps although I'm sure it will not be what the owner wanted to hear.
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
AussieSheila
Draftee

Thank you

Post by AussieSheila »

I truly appreciate your response! Thank you!
Robbo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Robbo »

The model number painted under the hood suggests that it was an Australian Army vehicle - most such vehicles also had an ARN number stamped on a small brass plate on the dashboard.

The Australian War Memorial has some records of vehicle acquisition but they do not provide much information even if you are able to find them.

Their photo collection available online has many photographs of wartime CCKW's that may help your friend if he intends a restoration.

Good Luck.