CCKW History

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
od-gmc
Private First Class
Private First Class

CCKW History

Post by od-gmc »

I have a CCKW353B2 which served in the ETO and then with the Frence and returned to the USA. The truck was repainted once (most likely by the Frence) and while removing paint I have uncovered a ordnance bomb symbol with the number 2 in the center located on the lower front right side of the cab. It is about 5 to 6 in high. The symbol is located on the first layer of OD paint so I do not believe it is Frence. The only reference to a 2nd ordnance group I can find is the 2nd Ordnance Maintenance Battalion attached to the 2nd Armored Division. Has anyone ran across a similar symbol. I can not make out any of the marking on the bumpers. This is the only clear marking I have found on the truck so far.

Scott Mattison
Scott Mattison
44 CCKW353
44 Cletrac M2
almrens
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by almrens »

Photo please
1944 CCKW 352 B2 Open, Cargo Set 7
1943 CCKW 353 A2 Closed Shop Van (Sold)
1941 CCKW 353 B1 Open Compressor
1945 CCKW 353 H1 Open Tipper
1944 Diamond T 969A Wrecker
1944 Ford Gpw
1944 Wood Ben Hur
1944 M7 Directors Trailer
19?? steel Ben Hur
1945 Hobart 17-G-2045
19?? Water buffalo ( Ben Hur)
M-10 Ammo Trailer
od-gmc
Private First Class
Private First Class

CCKW History

Post by od-gmc »

Attached is the like to the pic. It is located on yahoo. If you can not access it please e-mail me and I will send it to you.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_19954 ... IBTNwd1LGu
Scott Mattison
44 CCKW353
44 Cletrac M2
Cat Man
Major
Major

CCKW Cab Marking

Post by Cat Man »

Scott,

The marking you describe is found on French Post War trucks.

In the Photo History Book " The GMC - A Universal Truck" There are several photos of both Closed Cab and Open Cab CCKW's - Short Wheel Base artillary trucks, Engineer trucks and long wheel base Cargos in Post War French service all with the ORD bomb emblem with a number 2 in the center painted on the lower side of the Cab or on the cowl just in front of the cab.

Can't guess what it designates, but it is not a unit marking since it is used in different types of units.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
od-gmc
Private First Class
Private First Class

CCKW History

Post by od-gmc »

Cat Man,

You are correct. It has been some time since I looked that book. The symbols shown are like the one on my truck.

Thanks again,

Scott

Scott Mattison
44 CCKW353
44 Cletrac M2
Capt Lee P
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Number 2 on side panel

Post by Capt Lee P »

Hi,

The US Army in the 60's (Vietnam) painted the weight classification on the cab side door for the trailer it was pulling. It is part of the combination of truck/trailer markings. In this case, it would be a one ton trailer "Ben Hur". I believe that this was a carry over from the WWII style markings.

Lee
Capt Lee, Vietnam Vet, US Army, 1942 GPW, 1944 WC-51, 1943 Batnam T-3, 1943 Ben Hur (wood), 1944 CCKW B2 353