WW II ARMY CCKW GMC - Studebaker Brakes

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
James G. Davis
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WW II ARMY CCKW GMC - Studebaker Brakes

Post by James G. Davis »

TM 9-2800 (9/43 & 10/47) does not illustrate any GMC CCKW in a semi tractor configuraton while it does show a Studebaker 6x4 in that configuration. In addition it shows the Studie equipped to pull semi trailers equipped with vacuum brakes (only one in the Army's inventory).

The same document shows a number of trailers (vatious sizes, types and weights) equipped with electric brakes. While a number of the 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Chevrolets came in semi trator configuration and equipped with electric brake controllers they were too small to pull some of the trailers mentioned above.

There is information that I cannot confirm that some (number unknown) of the GMC CCKWs in a number of body styles came equipped with electric trailer brake controllers.

Questions:
1. Can anyone confirm a factory built GMC CCKW in semi tractor configuration?
2. If yes how many were built?
3. Were they equipped with either electric or vacuum trailer brake controlers or possibly both?
4. If no, how many GMC CCKWs in various body styles were equipped with either controller or both?

Thanks,
Jim Davis
WW II Army Engineer Veteran
Maui, Hawaii
Ranger Jim
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Some of the trailers pulled by a std CCKW had electric brakes like the M1 Searchlight Trailer or M7 Generator trailer.

They had kits to add on the electric brake controller for any (except Jeep) vehicles. I have purchased a number of them for my HMVs
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
James G. Davis
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by James G. Davis »

Hi Dr. Deuce,
Thanks for your reply and its info.

Can you suggest places or people who might be able to answer my questions 1,2 & 3?

According to TM 9-2800 there was only one WW II Army semi trailer (one axle, 3 ton with cargo sides with vacuum brakes. Appears there may been only one semi tractor equipped to apply vacuum braking, the 2-1/2 ton 6x4 Studebaker.

A mystery.
Aloha,
Ranger Jim
Ranger Jim