G508 to g506 conversion

Discussion and Questions about the different models of CCKW's
John D
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

G508 to g506 conversion

Post by John D »

I was looking thru ebay and found a CCKW which had it's intermediate axle removed for some reason and ran only off the rear axle. Is there a reason that the rear axle couldn't be moved forward a little and make the truck a g506 configuration? It would have the advantage of the bigger engine and the 5 speed. I realize this would not be original, but someone has already modified the truck.

John
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

You need to mount the axle with leaf springs like a Chevy. I have seen kluges of CCKWs still having springs and torque rods and only one axle but you really need to get a Chev setup. You 'could' make a civy one fit except: you need to change the chuck (gear ratio wrong) or swap the ring and pinion, or swap the side gears (wrong number of splines).

After WW2 Memphis Equip did this with a bunch of CCKWs and they turned out quite nicely. I have seen one and it even had a dataplate from Memphis!

Steve AKA Dr Deuce
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
bobc
Captain
Captain

6 wheel to 4 wheel

Post by bobc »

I have been contiplating this very same thing,I have a wonderful open cab and a great running engine and a wooden 9 foot bed,it would make a nice package, 4 less tires to buy,3 less U-joints to replace,and the fact that long wheel base beds are really hard to find, but I have line on a really clean 506 so I might end up selling the 508s. But I still love that open cab.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
John D
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by John D »

Bob-What is it about the open cabs that everyone seems to like?

There was a truck like you describe(g506 with open cab) on ebay a few months ago from Belgium.

John
bobc
Captain
Captain

open cab

Post by bobc »

Hi John, There are a couple of things that draw me toward an open cab,first is that I can mount a machine gun ring alot easier,a military vehicle needs a machine gun,second I miss having a convertible,on a nice warm night with nothing around,I had a M-37 that was my daily driver for five years and that was the best thing about it. I still miss the 65 caddy convertible I drove back in the late 80's,now it's transfigured to big green convertibles. Plus I fit alot better in the open cab than a closed cab. It all boils down to personal taste mine run toward ragtops. Bob.
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I like the side profile of the open cab. The straight up windshield and the canvas top is impressive. The closed cab trucks are great, but the open cab does offer some options, like laying the windshield down on a country road drive or especially in a 4th of July parade when the temps outside are 100 degrees.
Both styles offer different options, your preference :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
John D
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by John D »

HA HA! I can tell you guys are from the south. The attractive thing about closed cabs to me is it would probably be a lot warmer in the winter! I still wouldn't turn down an open cab though. I know how much I like my jeep in the summer.

John
Ontario, Canada
bobc
Captain
Captain

open cab-closed cab

Post by bobc »

Hi John, I'm accually quite high in elevation,were expecting snow tonight,but in few weeks when the russian olive trees are blooming,and the night time temps stay in the 60s you can't beat an open top vehicle. You don't use an military vehicle much in the winter anyhow,at least I don't.