Race to the Bridge

Historic Military Vehicle and Military Events of Interest World Wide.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Race to the Bridge

Post by Bill_Wolf »

What a treat for a Yank HMV enthsiast to be in Holland during the anniversary of Market-Garden. Some 60 plus years later the Dutch people have not forgotten the sacrifice made by Allied troops to secure their freedon from the Axis during the second World War.

I was there for training with my new job and was lucky enough to be given a car for use during the weekend. The company is located some 100+ clicks away so it was a necessity.

I had plans to follow Kee's suggestions for the weekend but got sidetracked. After getting lost in Arnhem I stopped at a Road side tourist map. In behind me pulled 2 Humber Heavy Utilites also looking for Ginkelse Heide, now a federal park, where the British Paras and Gliders landed as close as they could to Arnhem on that fateful day.

The Gentlemen in the 2 Humbers invited me to join them and I did. I must say that their hospitality was fantastic and they made me feel like one of the family. After the jump ceremonies they invited me to ride with them in the "Race to the Bridge". A truly remarkable and moving experience. Tens of Thousands lined the streets waving and cheering the hundred of so WWII British Vehicles following the same path that the real heros took some 62 years ago. Most of the vehicles were Dutch reenactor owned and a majority of the riders were outfitted as British jumpers. If it was not for the modern roads and the lack of smoke and gun fire it was difficult at times to remember that it was 62 years later.

A personal experience which will always stay with me. The parade had to stop for a minute about 1km outside of Arnhem. I was in Civy clothes in the back seat of the Desert Humber. I looked over and noticed an 80 or so year old Gentleman in a wheel chair dressed in a Military Uniform, (later I learned it was a Dutch military or resistance fighter). He saw me at the same time I saw him. I smiled and he raised his arm and gave me a crisp salute. Not knowing what to do I gave him a crisp salute back. A big smile came to his face and a tear to his eye...as the truck began to leave I gave him the V for Victory sign and said Thank You. It was mind-numbing to realize exactly where I was and what I was doing. It took me to Arnhem to get the tears out of my eyes.

Bob and Arthur and the Boys with the Humbers were extremely gracious and invited me to dinner at the hotel. We chewed the fat over a great meal and a thoroughlyl enjoyable evening.

I can believe my good luck and fortune in meeting these folks and being a ble to partake in what I did.

Thank you lads.

Bill

UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

Beautiful Bill. What a special moment for you and it makes you realise how small this world really is.

Really pleased for you.

Best wishes.

jack.
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
Chappers
Captain
Captain

Post by Chappers »

Great Story,makes it all worth it meeting these sort of guys.
You lucky bugger :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Hi Bill,

You lucky dog :D :D :D

Thanks for the pic's and the posts.

See you when you return

John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
Kees51
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kees51 »

Wow! I'm happy to see you had such a great day! You were indeed very lucky that you met those guys, but fortunately life sometimes is that way. Hooray :)
UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

Bill, what camera did you use for these shots?
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Wow, Bill what a great opportunity and these are fantastic photo's. Thanks for sharing them.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Jack,

2 year old Sony DSCH1 Digital. 5.1 megapixel on a 3.2 mp setting...automatic mode.

Bill