DATELINE: IN A CCKW, ETO WINTER 44-45

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

DATELINE: IN A CCKW, ETO WINTER 44-45

Post by joel gopan »

It was not easy.
There are 100's of pictures in MV periodicals, Books and websites depicting CCKWs in action in snowy Europa, some show 28th Div CCKWs on fire on a snowy road in Belgium, some show stuck CCKWs loaded to the hilt, being pushed by GIs, others show frozen GI drivers in trucks with no doors or tops. Just how did they survive day after day of this in the Winter of 44/45?
Think of this while you admire your CCKW adorned with the numerous fleamarket webbing, with the stenciled "prestone-44," headlite covers, sirens and carefully selected cargo to replicate war as you, the collector, the perceive it.
Try to imagine driving with no heater, or defroster, while cold, wet, hungry, wounded, and tired, having just laid in a snowbank to put on a set of tire chains, or having carried a 5 Gallon Can a few thousand feet to gas up your stalled CCKW. Oh, and not to mention that there was an enemy, just as cold, lurking in the shadows for the chance to spoil your day.

Next time you are in a parade, waving, beeping your horn or siren, and ogling at the girls, remember this, some tough WWII GI froze his ass off, so that you could have your turn at playing soldier as you percieve it.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
UK Jack
Major
Major

Post by UK Jack »

Joel.

May not be my place to say but I get the feeling that there is a lot of anger inside you as this is made so apparent by your tone in your post's.

I also resent your statement of “your turn at playing soldier as you perceive it.â€Â
www.hmvf.co.uk
A forum for historic military vehicles - inspired by Bill & CCKW.org!!!

Nothing is permanent in life, except change.
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

No anger, just a little history lesson. I have happy memories also, and also collect MVs and belong to several veterans groups. Army trucks may be fun, but their first mission was not to take thje children on a trip to Disneyworld.
I guess it is not OK to pay tribute to Veterans suffered so that we may have it easier today. World War II was Hell. The war is over and we have many ways to remember it. Parades are great, but we must not forget who we are honoring in those parades that honor our fallen heroes.
I will attempt to reword the thread.
I also realize that you have a different "take"on WWII as you have previously demonstrated.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS