Music makes the difference.

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Music makes the difference.

Post by armydriver »

Do you want to make your CCKW more interesting to the un-informed when displaying it? Add music to your truck. I mounted a AM/FM tape player in the glove box with speakers in two WWII Anti-Tank mine wooden boxes in the front of the simulated load and two speakers in a couple of wooden ammo boxes in the rear. It is amazing what some Glen Miller or Tommy Dorsey music does for your display. The visitors seem to like the old Bing Crosby Kraft Cheese Spread radio shows from WWII the best. Great music like " Mama scrap your fat" and " Lose Lips sink Ships" are also favorites. For you purist who don't want to clutter up the glove box, then mount the radio tape player in another ammo box. Use quick connectors on your wires, then all is portable. Have fun with your historical truck. You and the visitors will all enjoy it. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Driver,

One day, way back when in early 70's I was riding with my father. It must have been somewhere around a date of an anniversary in the ETO as the were playing WWII period music. We were listening to one of "his" stations.

On came this song "Lily Marlene". My Dad had tears in his eyes. He explained that while being stationed in Foggia Italy (at his B-17 base) that there was little for him to do when not piloting missions. There was no "town" to go into as they were stationed in formerly enemy territory so alot of time was spent listening to records and reading.

He said that this was a song that they played over and over again on their phonograph.

I had forgot about this incident until just now when you brought this up.

Thanks .....

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

This old music is classic stuff. There used to be a replica of an English pub in Houston that had Lily Marene on the juke box along with a lot of other WWII songs. All of the beer was either Irish or British and the place had photos and artifacts on the wall from WWII England. Among the items was a three bladed prop from a B-17 with photos of B-17's around it at their British air fields. I loved that place.
52 M38 Willy's

Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
bobc
Captain
Captain

WW2 music

Post by bobc »

I never heard much of the music from back then,till I went to the Papago show in January,they played it all day,it was great I really enjoyed it,it was a nice change,if I ever get one of my trucks parade ready I'm going to do the tape player thing,but what do you use for a battery?
Restored M-2-A-1 half-track, 41 CCKW SWB closed cab yard truck, working on open cab G-506 cargo truck
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I utilize the battery on the truck. I converted my truck to 12 volts and that just makes a lot of things much easier. Still just a 12 volt battery, seperately mounted in an ammo box with wires to the tape player would work just fine. They don't pull a lot of amperage and would last a full parade if the battery is hot.
52 M38 Willy's

joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

If I were to put my CCKW to Music, it would have to be the Caisson Song, played by part of an Army Band seated in back of it. If there is no band you could rig clothes pins and playing cards on the mudflaps to contact the NDTs to simulate "live fire" Jim (Col Jim), you gotta be creative. Does anyone dare to ask me what the band is seated on?
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Well Joel I am afraid to ask. :D I utilize the tapes from the Texas A&M band, along with the really good stuff from Glen Miller, Bing Crosby of course, and other big band notibles. All of the military stuff is played by the Aggie band.
As far as the cards on the mudflaps, that is too realistic for the crowd to take. :lol:
52 M38 Willy's

joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

The band sits on waterbuckets, ( GI WHOOPIE CUSHIONS). I actually have seat cushions from the rear of an M-113 that are approx 1.5' W X 4' long, that strap nicely to my CCKW Troop Racks that I use when I haul older vets. A reminder to all that is the Drivers' responsibility to assist troops entering and egressing the Cargo Body,and that the rear safety strap is secure.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

You are full of great ideas Joel. 'thanks for the help you provide on this forum. I never thought of the cushin thing for the riders. Thanks.
52 M38 Willy's