Tell the story

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Tell the story

Post by armydriver »

How many times has someone asked you where you if you bought your truck from the Army that way. Many people don't realize the amount of work we go through to restore these old beauties. Most seem to think that we just buy them from military ready to drive.
They would never ask that of a Model A owner, or a 51 Chevy pick up owner, but few realize that we are as dedicated to our hobby as those guys .
Before you start restoration begin takin photos of the truck and continue through the final bit of white paint that is put on the markings. Make up some story boards from start to finish and display them with your truck when displaying it. It will make all of your hard work evident to those who don't realize how much goes into restoring this much steel . I have four story boards that go with my truck on display, from the day she was dragged home by a wrecker until she participated in her first parade on July 4 and was displayed in front of a local theater for the opening of the movie Pearl Harbor along with a couple of jeeps, a half track and a Dodge command car. Tell the story, you deserve it and so does the public. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

I tell people that I just inherited it, and want to drive it a few days before I sell it for best offer. I do take my vehicles to schools and give a short history on Army transportation when requested, I even had my M-114 APC at the local High School with the .50 on it before 9-11, try that today.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I used to drive my 43 GPW to my high school located on Fort Sam Houston with a 1919A4 replica mounted on it. But that was way before 9-11. Now I won't even take in the welded up ROTC Garand I have to school anymore. Still, I love showing off the amount of work that I had to put into this truck to make it presentable.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans