Red Ball Movie

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
Lucky Forward
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Lucky Forward »

Red Ball Express
Speaking of Movies
Not having been long in this forum, I suspect most of you are aware but I will throw this out for those that are not…there is a Video out called Red Ball Express. I don’t know if it on DVD or not. I bought it about 5 years ago on Amazom.com The acting is bad, the story line is mostly Hollywood with some few facts thrown it but…the vehicle are all almost all original.

If you don’t have a copy here is the listing off the box
Universal Cinema Classics
Red Ball Express
Starring Jeff Chandler and Alex Nicol and Sidney Poitier
1952 made, renewed in 1980 by Universal Studios

There is a sequel to this as to same time frame it is called

The Tanks Are Coming

If you are into Sherman tanks this is a great movie on the operations of one. It also follows the same poor script and acting but the gear and vehicles are well worth the watch. The German stuff in it is not very well done. The same tanks are in the Red Ball Express. You won’t see this many Shermans in a WWII movie of this period. They were still in use in a state guard unit in operation in 1951 so they were perfect to do the film. A+ on the tanks D – on the storyline and acting.
Denny
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Lucky these Shermans in the Red Ball Express :

and these prisoners:

Its nice that you had a good experience with the film industry, thats encouraging. My experiences were based on a much earlier time frame "Bridge To Far" & " "Eagle Has Landed". Digital technology was still to be invented then!
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

The WWII period movies are my fare. I grew up with " The Flying Tigers", Bataan, " They were Expendible" and of course " Wake Island", all black and white and full of American heroics against the evil Japanese Empire.
I had a student pose the following question, after watching a couple of the old WWII black and white films in a row, " Mrt. Hudson, when did people learn to see in color?"
My old friend " Tex" Hill was sent to the US during the war as the technical advisor to John Wayne for the movie The Flying Tigers." It was that important to the War Department to have the movie made to imspire the American public that a top ace was brought home to advise on the movie.
dsMy times have changed.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans