Snow Chains

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Snow Chains

Post by Karoshi »

Snow driver advice wanted:

If you had only 6 snow chains and wanted best control in snow conditions, how would you mount them ........and why ?

John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

OK I'll give this a shot :lol:

Both front wheels ......for traction and steering control
Both right and left of the inter-axle...most likely to have the most weight load on it.

But....I kinda want to say... the left rear rear wheel and the right inter-axle wheel because they are the drivers....but I think that the unchained wheels will simply spin with no traction when the chained side meets resistance :?

Well...Colin how would you do it :wink:

Cheers
John
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

John I really dont know ! I'll go along with a pair on the front, but I really dont have a firm idea about the rear axles.

My gut feeling is to use the four outer wheels, simply because that'll be easiest to fit up, but I argue that the best traction would come from a fully fitted axle, but then all the working load will be on the one axle.

I've been volunteered to do a difficult wreck recovery on soft, greasy ground....off-road traction is going to be the key.

I'm just pleased I have that winch, and a couple of snatch blocks .....in case.
lacoda56
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

tire chains

Post by lacoda56 »

I would definately chain up the steer tires and one rear axle. If you just chain up the outside rear tires, it's possible to spin out in deep hardpack. (chained tires gouging out a trench and inside tires supporting load and spinning)
Lacoda56
South-central Wisconsin
'42 M? White Halftrack
'43 CCKW W/Leroi air compressor
'43 M-5H-6 IHC W/Quickway crane
'45 WC63 Dodge parts truck
'57 M45 Utica Bend W/Water purification body
'68 M54A2 Kayser Jeep cargo
M135 & m211 parts trucks
'77 M880 project
'76 M882 daily driver
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Colin.
A suggestion,

Get your truck as close a you safely can ( staying on decent ground )and only use you winch for the recovery. Use snatch blocks to double or triple your pulling power.
Use your CCKW to pull with, only when traction will permit it.

Hope this helps :)
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

John I didnt make myself clear. I will winch the recovery part of the operation. Its the to and from site that the chains are needed !!

True off-road, damp top surface on a clay under surface, in a dense woodland. Hey this is Europe.
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

US Army way of installing chains on a 6X6. If there are only chains for one rear axle, the chains are installed on the intermediate axle as it has to break the path for the rear axle and needs the extra traction. If installing single chains on dual wheels, the chains are to be installed on the outside tires.
It's in the manuals and bulletins.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Joel thats helpful information, thank you.

I already keep my 8-C-1575 Chains duel tyre, and 8-C-2380 Chain, single tyre, under the drivers seat as required in TM 9-801, but that same manual, is void of information on their use.

Do you have the reference number of the manual or bulletin that lists their correct use ?

With thanks
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Not really, it is something that has rubbed off from training, sundry military TMs, and information in the US Army PS magazines from over the past 48 years. I probably could find the PS Magazine article the quickest. WWII Drivers manuals TM10-460, May 42, and TM21-305 Nov 44 touch on the topic.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Can anybody help me with the references Joel quotes, I'm a bit dubious about purchasing: WWII Drivers manuals TM10-460, May 42, and TM21-305 Nov 44. For only a touches on comment......

.........and it begs the question, what happened between May 42 and Nov of 44 for the instruction to change ?

I live in fear of been photographed practicing incorrect chain etequette, and need help. Anybody?
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Ps magazine issue 419 of oct 1987 has a reprint of an earlier article
It also ref. to FM21-305 which I think is a drivers manual.
the basics are
Chains on the front axle even if not driven will provide better steering control
If you have a tandem rig but only 1 set of chains install them on the inter axle.
If you only single wheel chains install them on the outside.(on a dual wheel set up ) ( as previously posted )
Trailers usually don't need chains ,but if road conditions are REAL SLICK install them on the last or trailing axle ( to aid in braking )

Installation do's
install with crosslink hooks AWAY from the tire
install with the fasteners to the REAR when draping them over the tire
fasten the inner chain first and the the outer
secured the loose or tag ends with wire
drive a short distance and check them for tightness.

Hope this helps
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
Karoshi
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Karoshi »

Thank you John, I appreciate the input. Fronts and outers then, for me.