out of the CCKW business

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

out of the CCKW business

Post by armydriver »

For years i have been struggling with keeping up and driving Betty Boop. My friend Jeff, jds15151, on this site has taken her to live in Gatesville, Texas and to be a part of the Fort Hood family up there. After my recent health problems and inability to get on the ground or even climb up into her cab, I decided that she needed someone to care for her and keep the history of the GMC CCKW alive here in south central Texas. Jeff is the man. He is a retired soldier with 20 plus years in the Infantry and a Bradley instructor. He really surprised me with the ease he drove the old lady up onto the trailer for transportation. He did complain some about the "power steering" but he has come to realize with a couple of more inches of muscle in his arms that can be remedied.
I hope I can continue on this site, even though I am devoid of CCKW's now. This is a great site and a real help to those in need of keeping these old warriors on their appointed task of keeping history alive.
"keep em rolling"

Armydriver

Jim Hudson
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
snow man
Captain
Captain

Post by snow man »

We will all have to do that at some point in time and its always good that you can choose what to do yourself but sharing the knowledge can continue so please hang around.
GMC CCKW 353, M29 weasel, 1/2 ton dodge, Ben Hur Trailer
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

i second that snow man,please keep around Jim and hope you will keep us in order :) .. Good luck
1941 GMC 352 A1 Cargo 29595
1942 GMC 353 F2 Workshop 102620 ST6 Type M18 Electrical Repair
1942 GMC 353 B2 Cargo
1942 Ben Hur 1ton Wooden Cargo Trailer
1942 Chevrolet G506 G7113 Tractor 1NK 245837
1944 5ton The Trailer Company of America, Stake and Platform Semi Trailer
1943 Dodge WC63 6x6 82035401
194? Diamond T 968a 968A7471
PFC 514th Q.M T.C We Deliver Everything, Except Babies
Hammerhead
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Hammerhead »

Hey armydriver,
It's been awhile since I've been on the website and was saddened for you to see your health situation made it necessary for this difficult decision.
I know it had to be hard for you to give up Betty Boop but it sounds like you've passed her on to someone that will continue to give her the care and attention you would approve of. You know we all will face this someday in the future. I was told sometime ago when I bought my first MB that we are only temporary custodians of these priceless pieces of history. At that time I didn't believe it but now 21 years later I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for me too! Hopefully it's still a long way off but I can see it. :shock:
Please keep involved with this forum because your years of experience and insight will be invaluable to many of us.
Sincerely, Hammerhead
1944 GMC CCKW 353, 1943 BEN-HUR Trailer
1943 WC-52, 1944 WC-54 (dod 4/19/44), 1945 Willys MB,
4/44 Bantam T3, MVPA 12610, NRA life Member