After Action report for Veterans Day

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

After Action report for Veterans Day

Post by armydriver »

Right off this is not about a CCKW but a story to point out how important old historic military vehicles can be. As some of you might know, my health took a serious turn for the worse back in June when I went in for articifical knee joint replacement surgery. Since then it has been a struggle for me to regain my health, but my little M38 jeep became the impudice to drive me to recover.
As soon as I could get up and move some on my own I started work on it's restoration by driving my electric wheel chair around it and eventually pulling myself up to stand and work on the jeep.
Last Tuesday, Veterans Day I saw the fruits of my labor come to fruition when the jeep was used to " Troop the Line" at the Veterans Day celebration at Theodore Roosevelt High School, where my wife teaches. I towed the jeep to the school and briefed Sergeant First Class Brown, one of the Junior ROTC instructors on how to start and drive the little critter. During the ceremoney he drove the jeep in front of the cadet formation while retired Army Colonel Brown( noi relation) stood at the passanger side holding on the windshield and reviewed the troops.
The crowd of teachers and veterans were thrilled, as was I and during my stay there I spent three hours showing the cadets all about historic military vehicles and their importance to history. I only wish old Betty Boop could have been there also. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Hammerhead
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Hammerhead »

HEY AD!
Great to see you posting again!
Also great to hear your strength is improving. Thanks for sharing the Veterans Day story!
1944 GMC CCKW 353, 1943 BEN-HUR Trailer
1943 WC-52, 1944 WC-54 (dod 4/19/44), 1945 Willys MB,
4/44 Bantam T3, MVPA 12610, NRA life Member
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Thanks it feels good to be back into the swing of things.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans