Red Ball Express driver

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Red Ball Express driver

Post by armydriver »

I was out driving my CCKW on Saturday when my wife called me on the cell phone and asked me to stop by the local super market and pick up a couple of items. Of course the truck was the most unusual vehicle in the parking lot. As I walked up to the truck with my purchase an elderly black gentleman,( more elderly than me) was standing looking in the cab. I greeted him and he quitely asked me if this truck was a Jimmy. I confirmed that it was. He then intorduced himself, Jackson Mitchell. He then related the fact that he was a Red Ball Express driver in France. We talked for several minutes and he said that he was wounded in the knee while driving one night. He and his relief driver had pulled over to check an overheated radiator and the relief driver lit a cigarette. They heard the gun fire and a bullet pierced Mr. Mitchells knee cap. That ended his career as a truck driver in the Army , he said. He was mustered out as a staff sergeant in 1945.
I asked him if he wanted a ride. He was thrilled. I helped him get into the cab and we drove a couple of miles down the road and back. I got some photos with him next to the truck and in it. I went back into the supermarket and bought a paint pen and had him autograph the glove box door in white. Not many of those guys around anymore.
I got his phone number and will go over to his house. He said he had a couple of photos of him in 1944 driving in France. Cool outing and thanks to my wife another incounter with history.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Great story A.D.

I can thiink of nothing better than this happening while going to the grocery store.

Please send the pictures on...those are defiinately pictures that need to be on this site!

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Will do. I only wish I had my new paint job on my truck. She is going to look so much better.
The great part about living in the San Antonio area is that it is military city. Three Air Force bases here and one Army fort. There were four Air Force bases here at one time. Lots and lots of ex military personel and you run across all types. About 3 years ago I met one of the original members of the Triple Nickles, the first black paratroopers, at a resturant here. He had on his Triple Nickle cap.
At an airshow at Randolph AFB last year I met a man that was a truck driver at Kelly Field during WWII and that is where my truck was during WWII until it was sold into surplus in 1963 to a materials business here, Kelly Materials. I bought the truck from Mr. Kelly. I am only the second civilian owner of the truck.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans