CCKW....Ebay..,.Texas

This area is for ebay, Craigslist, GSA, Government Liquication or other auctions. It should include auctions for WWII trucks, parts, trailers, and directly related equipment and accessories, for CCKW, Chevrolet 1.5 ton, US-6, M5-6, DUKW, and WWII trucks larger than 2.5 ton vehicles only.

Moderator: Bill_Wolf

Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

CCKW....Ebay..,.Texas

Post by Bill_Wolf »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

Not bad looking...

AD, There is the place to put the bed you have for sale.

Bill
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I think I will take a run up there today and look at her. Only a couple of hundred miles. This truck has lots of possibilities and you are right about that bed I have Bill. Perfect spot for it to go. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

It does look very original,even down to the post war US Army markings and wooden wheel etc.

I think it may originally have been a compressor truck,what makes me say this is it appears to have the two small brackets on the rear of the cab for the safety straps which were specific to compressor trucks.

I'd guess the chassis number will be between the 130,000 and 200,000 mark.

Go on AD,get a sister for Betty Boop :D

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Well I am on my computer at present with the trip posponed due to incliment weather. For the first time in 6 months we have severe thunderstorms between here and there. I talked to the guy. The engine turns free, which is a big plus. Now if there are no stuck valves there may be no engine problems. He does not know about the clutch or transmission or transfer case nor brakes. Still just restoration, skinned knuckles, sweat and time. I will keep you posted on this one.
52 M38 Willy's

Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Good luck Jim,I hope you get it. I just re read the listing,the gas tank is not the original which also makes me think compressor truck as on those the tank is mounted at the rear and provides fuel for both the truck and compressor.

I'm sure with work this could be a very nice truck indeed.

Matt.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Well weather has improved so will run up there tomorrow. The tank appears to be a round truck tank. It very well could have been a compressor truck, however if I get it is going to be a dump truck. Nothing like a sex change operation at 64 years of age. I would name it China Doll and use 14thAAF markings from China.
52 M38 Willy's

Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Jim,I don't blame you not putting it back to a compressor truck if you get it,even if you could find a complete compressor body etc in some ways they are a pain,basically you are running fully loaded all the time.

If you could make a note of the chassis number I'd be interested to know what it is,my compressor truck is 162610-1 and I'd guess this one will be close.

Matt.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I will let you know what the SN is Matt. I am drinking my first cup of coffee right now before I depart. It is about 200 miles north of here so a pretty good run, but it is on an Interstate Highway and other than Austin, Texas not any large cities to go through,
52 M38 Willy's

armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

This is a very restorable truck and in pretty good condition. It is obviously from a very dry climate as mostly only surface rust. The clutch doesn't appear to work as there is no clutch peddal pressure. The master cylinder will have to be rebuilt or a new one put on. That means a complete brake rebuild will be in store. New fuel tank, as the tank is from the 50's off of a civilian truck. The enterior of the cab is pretty good, but all the rubber around the windows will have to be replaced. One enterior door handle is missing, on the passanger side. Data plate is gone, and I could not get enough of the paint off of the frame to get the serial number. It is early with the symetrical grill/guard and no blackout drive light ever. Frame is in good condition.This would be about a 3 year project for an old geezer like me. I still want it though, so will wait on my bid until the last minute. The truck is definately not worth the buy now price. I estimate another 4-5 thousand to get her up to snuff dswith new tires and all and that does not count ones labor. I am still waiting on the freight cost to get the truck to San Antonio from a fellow that is in the Lonestar MVPA that specializes in hauling military vehicles. His price will depend on whether I actually bid or not. If there is someone in the Dallas area that wants the truck they will have the freight advantage as the truck is only 30 miles out of Dallas.
52 M38 Willy's

armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Wow, so far the freight costs here are outrageous. Bill sent me the number of one guy that was reasonable but he is not registered for the weight or the size of the truck and the member trucker of the Lonestar MVPA wants almost the price of the truck to pick it up and bring it here even though it is only a round trip of 400 miles. He wants $3.00 per mile both ways. I am trying to find someone else that will mess with it. Part of the problem is the loading of the truck as it will have to be carried on a lowboy with a truck with winching ability. That means dropping the float, winching on the truck, then re-attaching the float. They want 250.00 just for that manuver then the milage costs. The drivers here are used to hauling oilfield and construction stuff for company's that have lots of money for transportation. :cry: If you look at 3000.00 going in then restoration costs one can buy a restored truck cheaper , I fear. What I need is my own truck and float to haul it on. :D
52 M38 Willy's

42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Hi army
Boy if that truck were only 200 miles from me I would go get it myself , you don't know anyone with a one ton dual wheel pickup ford, chevy,dodge thats set up to haul a goose neck trailer or camper :?: That truck is not that heavy, without a rear cargo body. A goose neck trailer with wheel ramps and a good heavy duty come'along and chains would get her on the trailer in about a hour. Four chains and four chain binders and your done and headed down the highway :D I do it all the time with tractors that won't run and have flat tires , the last tractor I did weighed 6000 lbs took me about a hour to load and secure by myself using only a come'along. Some time my friends will go with me and all it cost is the fuel ,the beer, and a good meal, and that's what friends are for and I do the same for them. :lol: :lol:
JIM 42CCKW
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Thanks for the suggestion 42. The beer usually does the trick with most of my friends, but none have a duelly with a 5th wheel set up. I am still looking though.
52 M38 Willy's

Chris T.
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Chris T. »

Try towing services. When I need the "Big Toys" moved, I use a 50' Landoll trailer. They pull up, tilt the bed, winch the truck up. They charge by the hour, but here it works out to about $1 per mile. Fastest pickup time was 15 minutes with tying the truck down.

Later,
Chris T.
Chowchilla CA
'42 CCKW K-60
'42 CCKW K-53
'43 CCKW ST-6 Shop Truck 2x
'43 CCKW 353 Cargo
'44 CCKW USN ACRU
'44 CCKW Airfield Refueling Truck
'45 CCKW M27B1 Bomb Truck
'45 CCKW Engineer Motorized Shop (Maybe Soon)
War and Peace 2007
Normandy 2009
War and Peace 2011
War and Peace Revival 2013
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Serial number of the truck is 172639 Any help on date of manufacture would be helpful.
52 M38 Willy's

42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Army the mfg date is December 1942 171369 thru 185643 for the month of dec 1942. :wink:
JIM 42CCKW
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Thanks Jim. :D
52 M38 Willy's

Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Only 1000 trucks between it and my compressor truck.

By the way JIM(42CCKW),where do you get your info? is it based on production date or date of delivery?

Thanks!

Matt.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

That is interesting Matt, to be only 1000 numbers away. The owner of the truck said the truck had been used to haul firewood for the ranch it was on in Colorado and they had removed the headach rack and logging racks from the truck before it was shipped to Texas.
52 M38 Willy's

42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

HI MATT
The imformation I have only gives the starting and ending serial number production for each month of every year starting with oct 1940 and ending with may 1945. It does not give date of delivery as that was stamped on by the army Quartermaster Corp after exceptance of the trucks from GMC. There is a very good informational book from portrayal press ( GMC trucks at war ) it gives vehicle Identification , goverment contracts , and registation numbers, but no production dates , that I got from another site about 3 years ago and have not seen it since. :)

JIM 42CCKW
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

In accordance with what I have been able to dicerne, sometimes the trucks would sit as long as 6 months before the truck was accepted by the Army. Probably due to bed manufacture as GMC made the trucks only and the bodys were contracted out to various manufacturers, so if it were a speciality bed , such as a dump, or compressor, the DOD might be way after the date of manufacture by GMC .
52 M38 Willy's