For you Chevy G-506 collectors with Disposable income.....

This area is for ebay, Craigslist, GSA, Government Liquication or other auctions. It should include auctions for WWII trucks, parts, trailers, and directly related equipment and accessories, for CCKW, Chevrolet 1.5 ton, US-6, M5-6, DUKW, and WWII trucks larger than 2.5 ton vehicles only.

Moderator: Bill_Wolf

Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

For you Chevy G-506 collectors with Disposable income.....

Post by Bill_Wolf »

From the G-503 site.....

1944 1 1/2 TON CHEVY CARGO TRUCK. RESTORED FRAME UP APPROX. 10 YRS. AGO. VERY NICE LOOKING TRUCK, VG+ CONDITION, FULL CANVAS, ORIG. MANUAL, JACK INCLUDED, $13,000. LOCATED IN SOUTHERN N.J. CALL FOR DETAILS/PHOTO'S, SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY! PHONE: 856-629-8422/EMAIL: denleen1@verizon.net. Dennis Foster

:shock:
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

It may be worth it if the workmanship is professional. Not all trucks are done by weekend mechanics.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Chevys just don't have the value that GMCs have. They are a nice truck, but a GMC will always be worth 33 to 50% more than a Chev of equal quality of restoration.

I worked on a Chev for Jim Richie about 12 years ago. He had over 12k into the truck when he got sick and sold it for $7,000.

I helped David Doyle with his GREAT book on WW2 vehicles and one area we struggled with was the value of HMVs with different bodies. This one listed is not even a dump I don't believe which would make it worth more.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

It is not easy to set a value on WWII trucks, as the condition varies from salvaged woods truck to a pristine example. They are not a standard commoddity. I value them more, as I pay more than some. There are some who want bragging rights to having a $500.00 Army truck, and that is whether it is restored or not. Others want a truck that has been maintained with the precision of a watchmaker. The value should be in the eye of the beholder. Why should a Chevy be worth less than a Jimmy? Production wise, a Chevrolet should be more rare than CCKW. It costs more to OH a 235 than a 270.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The value IS in the eye of the bolder. BUT, if the beholder does not see much value in the item, then it has little value.

You can ask whatever you want for an HMV or anything. If not one else see the same value in it that a buy does...

How many times have we seen an HMV 'parts' truck that the seller claims that it could be restored and he wants 5 or 10 x the value it has in its present condition.

David Doyle and I had a long conversation on this while he was doing his book. If you can only have one CCKW, would you have a Bolster or a cargo? Most people would take the cargo even though the bolster is a lot rarer. If you were buying a 2nd CCKW, then the bolster might be more attractive as it is both different and rare.

It has been my expereince collecting these HMVs for a few decades that the Chevys do not seem to have as much value because of the above mentioned perceived value to the collectors. To me, the really desireable ones, the dump trucks are pretty rare as most were worked to death by the general public after WW2 and Chevys do have that fatal frame breakage flaw when overloaded.

Look at an unrestored Norwegian CCKW. It will go for sometimes over 10k where for the same money you can buy a very nicely restored Chevy that does not need a complete removal of the Norwegian 'extras'.

Steve AKA Dr Deuce
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

I do not subscribe to what is listed in the publications for suggested Truck Values. I have been at this longer than most, and realize there is no way a person will be qualified to tell all owners what MVs are worth. Too many factors. What if I were to have a truck sent to Austrailia for restoration and returned to USA before putting it on the market? I look at those books as guides for persons with Champagne appetites and Beer pocketbooks. Try setting a price for an M-1 Bomblift Truck. Remember, there is no department store shopping for CCKWs, and the stork does not transport them. What if the book prices a mint CCKW at $10,000, and the truck you are restoring is only half done at $10,000. Some CCKWs can be bought locally, others are shipped in from overseas. The book you describe is best utilized if purchased for the pictures, forget the prices. There are some who claim that merchandise is worthless until sold.
Joel
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Take your M1 bomb lift as an example. It is very rare and very hard to come by. BUT, how many people would REALLY want one? It would be nice to have one with my Chev Bomb truck, but even then I personally would not spend a fortune on it even if it made the truck complete. To me it is worth less than $500 if it happend to be for sale. To you, it is probably worth a lot more. One buyer down, next!

Point is, you can place value on anything but unless it has value to someone else who is willing to part with $$ for it, it has only value to you.

As an example, I have my cargo CCKW insured for $20,000. That is the price I figure it would cost to replace it if it was destroyed in a fire or some other violent event. Could I sell it for that, probably not but I have no intention of selling it so the selling value/price I may have placed on it is unrealistic. I just want to replace it if necessary and with the M32 mount, that could be very difficult.

Another example is the guy in ME who has the cut down CCKW on ebay for some very high amount like 35k. I don't care, and no one else will care how well it was restored and all the little things done to it. Even if it was a militarily restored CCKW or Chevy, none I have seen are any where near that amount of money. He will own it for a long time....

David Doyle's book is to be used as a guide for prices and availability and desireability. I had something to do with it so it is no good

Steve AKA Dr Deuce
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

I have turned down over $1500.00 for the Bomb Lift, I could get more If I were willing to sell, but it is not for sale at any price. There are F-51 and other WWII Warbird owners that realize the value of these rare items, and are willing to offer a fair price. Like I said Doyles book is geared to the beer appetite crowd, quality vehicles are priceless. That said, there is no reason that a CCKW owner should not be proud of his vehicle that he rescued from a gravel pit and made it into a throbbing OD colored beast. I appreciate meeting the proud owner of his own handywork, that was created on a budget of few dollars and a lot of dented sheetmetal. Reliving history is what it is all about. But remember, there is no limit to what can be spent on a restoration, it is up to the owner. No two CCKWS cost the same to purchase and restore. The book can't relate to that.
Joel
Barry Churcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Barry Churcher »

I paid a fair price for a Chevy that I bought in Holland. I paid more than I anticipated to have it shipped to Canada. It is not finished yet and I have major bucks involved now in the restoration. :shock: The value of the truck to me is worth it because I really like the truck. The bottom line though, for value, is still what a certain person will pay me on a given day. Do I have a $10,000 Chevy? No! Do I have more than that in it? Well, Janet sometimes reads this forum so I will have to say no. Heh, heh. :oops:
As part of my garage business I do antique and MV appraisals. Any publication indicating values whether beer or champagne budgets, is invaluable to me as it is another comparison for my final ESTIMATE!
Cheers, Barry
1944 Chev. C15TA
DAF YA314 ----- Chev. G506
Ford F15A (4)
Chev C15A (2)
Ben Hur Fuel Transfer
Polynor Trailer
Drone Winch Trailer
GE Searchlight
Nekaf
1953 M38A1
Telephone Reel Hand Cart
British GS Trailer
M101
M101 with Water Tank
101 CDN-2 (2)
WW2 Water Trailer
M-274 A5 Mule
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I feel sure the truck is well worth the price to someone and anytime we can save any of these old trucks, Chevy's or CCKW's then it is worth the price.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans