Hello from Dorset UK

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
Lawson
Draftee

Hello from Dorset UK

Post by Lawson »

Hi all
I am very happy to member of this great board.
I have a lovely hard cab gmc airportable dump/cargo , i have owned it for about 4 mounths now and have already done a fair bit of work to the old girl...When i first got it her i was given all the metal work for the cargo seats and the metal uprights...all abit rusty..I had no wood work for the seats no bows etc...And a slipping clutch.....so my first job was to go to the local timber yard and buy some wood , cut to size , paint , de-rust all the metal work and paint...and i think i have gone a good job with doing all that.
Next was the clutch...I have never done a clutch even on a car before so it was all a learning process...I am a long distance truck driver myself and i quickly learned of the guy who has most of all the new old stock of jimmy parts in the uk...Rex Ward....So a few trips to rex in my works truck for clucth parts..new spigot bearing , thrust bearing , pressure plate spring , friction lining , and some great advice on how to do the job , along with a PDF Format of the TM Manual , and with the help of 2 friends the gearbox was out and the new clucth in...the old one was down to the rivets on the friction linning ...gearbox back in and she is running great again...I have also replaced some worn parts on the steering ends..the pins....
So thats my jimmy story to date...Here are some pictures of her

Closed cab Airportable Gmc Dump/Cargo
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

She's a looker!

Remember that the clutch should be adjusted so it just barely disengages when the pedal hits the floor (about 1/2" or so). You don't want to be doing that job again :(
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Lawson
Draftee

Post by Lawson »

Thanks dr deuce...Yes i have ajusted as you have said...in fact i think the new friction linning is so thick that i had to take the ajustment on the pedel almost all the way to the top of the tread just to get to disengae...but rex ward said it will bed in farily fast then i can take it down abit....it all seems to be working fine at the moment and i did change the pressure plate spring...I dont want to be doing it again....Its been really cold here and i can finally feel my fingers again...lol
Closed cab Airportable Gmc Dump/Cargo
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

hi lawson
welcome to the forum
great truck :D :D
1941 GMC 352 A1 Cargo 29595
1942 GMC 353 F2 Workshop 102620 ST6 Type M18 Electrical Repair
1942 GMC 353 B2 Cargo
1942 Ben Hur 1ton Wooden Cargo Trailer
1942 Chevrolet G506 G7113 Tractor 1NK 245837
1944 5ton The Trailer Company of America, Stake and Platform Semi Trailer
1943 Dodge WC63 6x6 82035401
194? Diamond T 968a 968A7471
PFC 514th Q.M T.C We Deliver Everything, Except Babies
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Welcome Lawson to the site. That is one great looking tipper. Thanks for the photos of your truck.
I have a dump truck in restoration at present. I hope it looks that good when it is finished. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Cat Man
Major
Major

Post by Cat Man »

Hello Lawson,

Welcome to the CCKW world. Your "Dump Truck" as we say here in the states, looks fantastic. The term "Tipper" does seem to have a bit more flair I'll admit.

I have two questions.

The front grill looks like it has a small oval emblem, not the rectangular factory type. Does it say "GMC"? I read somewhere that the oval emblem cut-out of a discarded 270 CID GMC engine valve cover creates a unique emblem. It that what your's has?

Also noticed that the rear differential is painted white. It that for safety/visability? Or some other reason? I kind of like it, maybe I'll paint mine that way.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Canadian Gunner
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

White Differentials

Post by Canadian Gunner »

Hi Cat Man:

The white differential was common on Commonwealth (couldn't resist that one!) military vehicles. We routinely (even on stuff purchased from you guys) added a convoy light up in the rear frame which illuminates the rear diff. It added safety to blackout drives and, if the unit followed the instructions, it also had the unit serial number painted on it in big black digits... if several convoys were sharing a route, it helped keep the drivers from following the wrong truck and ending up way to hell and gone!

I don't know if your army copied the idea but there is always some transferrence of good ideas when Allies rub elbows. :D

Hope this helps!

Cheers! Mike
"UBIQUE!"

Mike Calnan