Hello from Hockley Texas

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
Lucky Forward
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Hello from Hockley Texas

Post by Lucky Forward »

I picked Lucky Forward as a handle because I am a Patton van. I am in the process of "I hope" purchasing my first cckw and know nothing worth knowing about them yet. I do have lots of questions as you might well imagine. These questions range from where to find Tech Manuals, parts, and the big one on my mind if the deal goes through...who does hauling from the Michigan area to Texas? What should I expect to pay by the mile?

I own a WC 15 1/2 ton Dodge Command and it is my only experiance with MV's. I am a member of MVPA. I hope to own shortly.... a Shop Van I plan to convert to Patton's command HQ. If the deal I am looking at doesn't go through, I will be looking for a shop van where ever I can find one and would love some directions to look. I look forward to learning more. any help anyone can give me would be greatfully accepted. Is there an expert or simi expert of CCKWs in Texas that you could point me toward?
Denny
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Welcome Denny,

Good Luck with your search.

I am sure others here will chime in with there experiences. I have had 2 major moves done. One of a CCKW from North Carolina to New Hampshire and the other of a Searchlight setup from Arizona to NH. For the CCKW I used Ray Patton trucking. His price was reasonable and one of the most important aspects is that he stuck to his time schedule. He is an MVPA member and has an ad in Supply line and in Military Vehicles Magazine.

The other move was in February. I used a independent long haul trucker who moves New England to California High Tech equipment. He lives in NH and has a beautiful enclosed box. I wanted to elimiinate the Searchlight and glass from being exposed to the elements so I went with an inside haul. Very expensive but worth it.

There are many other places to find truckers. I understand that business for them is way off but with the $3.60 per gallon price of Diesel that prices are the highest they have ever been.

Good luck and keep us advised.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
Cat Man
Major
Major

Texas New Guy

Post by Cat Man »

Lucky Forward, Lucky Forward, this is Cat Man - Over

Welcome to the world of big trucks. Ray Patton is highly recommended. He does haul a fair amount in and out of Northern WI. If you don't get in a hurry and he can combine several vehicles on one trailer he could help you thru Michican. He knows his MV's and you can trust him to handle most any vintage military vehicle.

I don't like to haul any vehicles on open trailers in winter from the upper midwest. Too much road salt. Wait until spring.

There is a place on the G503 message board for people hauling/ looking to haul. Some of the guys have used that

You will find several vendors in Supply Line and Military Vehicles with parts for CCKWs. Different from the old days when you had to know a guy who knew a guy etc

Portrayal Press has high quality reproduction paper manuals. There are several people on E bay that are selling CCKW manuals on CD for about $10. I have started to use these on some other vehicles. Just print the pages you want and don't worry about greasy finger prints. Have not tried the CCKW on CD.

Art Pope from Michigan had a CCKW shop van redone as the one Gen Patton used. I think there was an article with lots of photo's a while back in Army Motors. Anyway, very cool idea.

Welome and feel free to ask questions here its a great site for CCKW stuff.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
Lucky Forward
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Lucky Forward »

It sure looks like I have come to the right place. I have all ready gotten way more info than I could have any other place. I will be busy digesting a lot of this. I should know the middle of next week if my deal is going through. If it does, I will have 2 1/2 tons of questions.

Please keep the information coming my way as I am like a sponge at the moment. I am building a data base and going through what you have already sent my way.
Thanks
Lucky Forward