Hello from Guernsey, Channel Islands

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
JB506
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hello from Guernsey, Channel Islands

Post by JB506 »

Hi, Jason from Guernsey.

Just started out on the restoration of my CCKW GMC 353, which i bought from a chap in Norway last October. The truck is in pretty good nick in that it needs no major bodywork doing to it and is mechanically sound. I have some history on the truck and am initally looking to clarify some of this info and fill in the gaps. The truck was delivered in July 1945. A plate on the engine gives the name of 'Yellow Truck & Coach MFG Co', Pontiac, Michigan, with a serial number 27061024. I believe these people may have built the truck. Another plate gives a recondition date of 17/11/52 at United Auto Parts Co. Inc. Ordance Div, Kansas City, MO. The next plate gives a recon date in 1973 in Norway. So, I have thus established that the truck was built in July 1945, and then some time between 1952 and 1973, the truck was sold off to the Norwegian Army. Does this sound right to anyone? and also can anyone confirm when the USA Army sold their vehicles to there European friends? I will attempt to add some pictures to this thread? (Never used photobucket before, so hope it works).

Regards
Jason

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo51 ... /GMCSW.jpg
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo51 ... /jimmy.jpg
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo51 ... flaps1.jpg
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo51 ... lapsii.jpg
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo51 ... apsiii.jpg
LITTLEWOOD
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by LITTLEWOOD »

MB Jeep 1945
M29C Weasel 1945
CCKW 353 1945
WLA 1944
JB506
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JB506 »

Very good Cpl Littlewood!

Thanks
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The US did indeed sell/give thousand of WW2 HMVs to our European friends after WW2. So this being a Norwegian truck is not unusual.

Being a July 1945 truck, you have the last brake system with the hoses running down the upper torque rods instead of the "flying" hoses sticking out of the frame. Those can be a bit difficult to find due to their length. You don't really want NOS ones from WW2 or the early 50's. You can buy M35 hoses which also run down the upper torque rods but which are one thread size larger and adapt them on both ends. An easy solution.

Good luck and keep us informed as to how you are doing :)
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
SpookyDad
Captain
Captain

Post by SpookyDad »

Jason

The serial number 27061024 is the the number on the hood right? If it is, then that is the Army registration number. The serial number would be a number under 528,829. If it isn't on the dataplate under the dash, look on the frame rail above the front passenger side wheel. It will probably be covered with many layers of paint.

Mine is 474714 with a delivery date of March '45. Look on the cckw.org site for the Army Motors article on the History of the CCKW. It is a very informative article. You will have the 6th series which has all the improvements they could incorporate in the design.

Welcome aboard. At last I am not the newest owner on here. :D
1945 CCKW 353 Fire Truck to German Kfz72 Radio Van conversion.
http://716heer.org
Houston Texas
JB506
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JB506 »

Thanks for your input guys, most useful.

Interestingly the serial number under the dash is 540496 B2. The number 2061024 was on a plate on the engine, not really sure what this means. The name of the company on the same plate was 'Yellow Truck & Coach MFG Co'. I will check this number against the number on the frame rail as suggested. I am in the process of 'very carefully' taking back the many layers of paint to reveal the original blue numbers on the hood, i have so far found a '6' and a '7' - not a job for the impatient!

Regards

JB
Chris_M
Captain
Captain

Post by Chris_M »

Jason, my truck was produced very close the same time as yours. My GMC CCKW 353 2 has s/n 538120. Date of delivery was July 45 as well. I found out that according to the serial number she must have been produced in the end of April 45. Your truck is only 2376 vehicles younger. So I presume your Jimmy was produced just at the very end of April as well, maybe within the first few days of May.

Regards,

Chris
45 CCKW 353 2
JB506
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JB506 »

Thanks Chris.

That is most interesting, and the sort of info i'm looking for to build a complete picture of the truck's history. People always ask this information and certainly helps to generate more interest at the various shows we attend.

Jason
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Chris,

I too have a Norwegian return. My 353 is a split frame (air-portable) with a composite body and the same window blind type of mud flaps as you.

The engine, starter, generator all have Norwegian rebuild tags on them.

The supposed story behind my truck built in 6/45 was that it went directly into storage. Was unused until it was rebuilt by United Auto Parts, Kansas City, Missouri in December of 1952. It was then sent to Norway under the MDAP agreement. Served in Norway and was brought back to the US after being auctioned in Europe.

All my plates match. However the hood number on the truck when I got it does not "fit" in the sequence for the year of production. There was no underlying numbers on the hood or rear bumperettes.

My truck is days away from completion. Just waiting for canvas ordered in November 2007.

Remember that these vehicles were rebuilt at least a couple of times. From what I have read the factory rebuilding process had a couple of lines. One to disassemble the trucks and the other to reassemble the trucks. There is always the possibility to mix up parts during assembly line work as they just go to the bin and pick the part.

We have a partial database that can help you by comparing to others vehicles. It is located here: http://www.cckw.org/cckw_database.htm

Please send along your info so I may ad it.

Bill
1945 GMC DUKW
1942 Chevy 125 Crash Truck from Dow AAFB,
1944 Chevy 325 Fire Truck
1942 WC-54 Ambulance
1944 M29C Weasel (x6)
1945 CCKW 353 A2 Open Cab "Air-portable"
1943 M5 High Speed Tractor
1942 Sperry Searchlight setup with GE Generator
1942 M-1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer (G221)
1942 M-17 Fruehauf Quad 50 Trailer (G221)
1942 M-10 Ammo Trailer (x3)
194? Steel Ben Hur (x4) 194? Wood Ben Hur (x2)
1945 Case VAIW-3 Aircraft Tug
1943 Case VAI USAAF with Mower
1944 Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
1944 PE-95G, 1944 PE-99B
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Keep up the goodwork. You are a true friend of history and keeping these old beauties operational is a vital part of keeping the history of WWII alive.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans