Hello from West Tennessee

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
DDoyle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hello from West Tennessee

Post by DDoyle »

Greetings all!
My name is David, and I live in west Tennessee. I have a pretty serious case of the OD fever, and have put together a small collection of 6x6s - all M-series (which I hope you folks will tolerate), that through the years my son, my father, and now my fiancee Denise have enjoyed.

Although my collection is largely U.S. Vietnam-era vehicles, I am interested in military vehicles of all eras, and most nations.

My occupation is writer - largely about military vehicles, aircraft and ships - and am fortunate to have met a number of wonderful people (including several on this site) through the years, and seen some darn interesting vehicles.

Since I am currently working on a couple of CCKW-oriented books, I'm likely to make a pest of myself over the next few days asking detail questions. I hope at some point I can contribute to the group as well, so I hope ya'll don't see this as a one-way street.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Welcome David Doyle!

It is a pleasure to have you on board.

For those who are not aware David is an accomplished author of WWII HMV reference material. His post about the books he has authored was way too modest.

Without exaggerating, one of his books, The Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles - Second Edition is the modern bible of HMV collecting and is a must for all collector's libraries. It truly is one of my favorites and gives a great deal of general information about most military vehicles produced since 1940. It contains an excellent mix of Official and restoration pictures. This book is a must for all interested in the HMV hobby.

As I own one I also am thankful for his book on High Speed Tractors, A Visual History of the U.S. Army's Tracked Artillery Prime Movers--M2, M4, M5, M6, M8. It has been a godsend on researching info on my M5 beast.

Another great book for the library is Mr. Doyle's book on German vehicles...Standard Catalog of German Military Vehicles. Great pictures of German Armor and support vehicles.

Mr. Doyle has also written many books on collecting Lionel Trains and is a contributor of articles in Military Vehicle Magazine.

Again it is a pleasure to have him aboard.

Bill
Cat Man
Major
Major

DDoyle Signs In

Post by Cat Man »

Here is the man in action. World famous author and photographer, DDoyle doing his thing on a fall morning.

Don't let him kid you, he knows a ton about CCKW's too

David, Glad you found your way to the CCKW site. These folks will be a great help for your new book project.

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
DDoyle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DDoyle »

Thanks for the welcome and your kind words guys.

And that photo, it can't be me - I don't need to lose THAT much weight do I???!

David
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

DDoyle wrote:
And that photo, it can't be me - I don't need to lose THAT much weight do I???!

David
Naw...Dave your fine....your just like the rest of us :lol: :lol:

506 :lol:
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

Welcome to the Group . What additions were made from the first edition of U.S. Standard Military Vehicles ?
DDoyle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DDoyle »

abn CCKW wrote:Welcome to the Group . What additions were made from the first edition of U.S. Standard Military Vehicles ?
The first edition was done by Tom Berndt back in 1993, was 272 pages, and most of the vehicles shown were restored vehicles.

The second edition, which I did in 2003, was 496 pages, and almost all of the 1000 photos were period photos of unrestored original vehicles.

Beyond the title, there is literally nothing the same in the two books. Both of the books are now out of print (mine went out of print 12 months ago, but can probably still be found around the marketplace - but I DON'T have any).

Hope this helps!

David
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Welcome David. This is a fantastic site , as you will find out over time.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Conn
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

!

Post by Conn »

What a pleasure meeting you on here Mr. Doyle! My father and I purchased a copy of your The Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles - Second Edition at a MV show two years ago and it's made such a wonderful resourse to learn about all MVs. Especially the G-508 as we've been working on our CCKW. We just received the February issue of the Military Vehicle Magazine and noticed one of your latest works The Eighty-Eight, looks interesting! We'll have to keep an eye out for these up-coming CCKW books! Hope we can all help here on the forum in anyway!
Have a Merry Christmas!
Michael

P.S. Do you happen to have any books or literature about the Hand Utility Carts of WWII? They only take up a small fraction of the OD world, but are hard to find many resourses for...Thanks!
1940 Packard 110 Touring Sedan
1945 M3A4 Hand Utility Cart
1945 GMC CCKW 353 H1
http://americanbombardier.tripod.com/cckwproject/
DDoyle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DDoyle »

Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately, hand carts are an area I know almost nothing about. So little in fact I don't even know where to begin to send you!

Sorry, and Happy New Year!

David
Nick Bombini
Captain
Captain

Post by Nick Bombini »

Welcome aboard David!

I can't count how many times I have referred to the Standard Catalog (yours) while finding equipment locally.

I look forward to finding more out about your new book on CCKWs.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW