Hello From Devonshire, England.

For New Members to tell us about themselves and be welcomed.
Rodney Rushton
Draftee

Post by Rodney Rushton »

I discovered this site by chance last week and find it interesting with the free exchange of information on subjects - mostly GMC orientated, naturally.
I have been interested in ex-military vehicles since the early 1960's and indeed have owned several CCKW's in that time along with Jeeps of all kinds; Ford GP, MB's GPW's, M38, M38A1, MUTT, as well as Jeepsters, Wagoneers, etc. Dodges of all varieties from 1/2 ton to Carryall,
White Scout Car, and as previously mentioned CCKW's both open and closed cab, wooden and metal bodies, including the one called "Daisy Mae" loaned out to some of the members on their D-Day Trip years back.
The opportunity presented itself in 1976 to work with Charlie Mann and his Military Vehicle Museum, Falmouth in Cornwall to work out in Holland on the film "A Bridge too Far" and this lead onto a career supplying and making vehicles of all kinds for Film and TV Productions - I still do, but now I try and limit the work to my local area, mostly 4 or 5 dramas for German TV per year. As you may gather I am not in the first flush of Youth - but I'm just as interested as ever. One of the problems you crate for yourself when you turn your beloved hobby into a full time occupation is that you can lose your hobby!
I still have the first jeep I ever rode in eventually bought nearly 20 years later, a jeep trailer I bought in 1968 and the 1941 G3L Matchless DR 350cc Motorcycle I rode on the film.
I always wanted to learn to fly, and it took a bout of Lymphoma to make me make the effort and now I have a '51,DHC Chipmunk WG422 based at a local farm strip together with many other ex military aircraft. We are most fortunate to have a large amount of de-restricted airspace to use, much of which includes many sites of WW2 significance.
we liase with the local chapters of the MV preservation Groups and weather permitting will overfly their camps or road runs if possible, Great Fun! We have located several of the Cub Strips in the area and have on many occasions landed Cubs in fields and on Beaches. I regard this as a bit of homage to History and the Guys who came over here to "do their bit" Without them none of us would have this hobby we so enjoy.
I am currently looking at a '41 Aeronca Defender - and so am still aflicted by the Kleptomania we all tend to suffer.......
Well, keep those trucks rolling,
Signing off, Rodney Rushton.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Welcome aboard Rodney!

I want to thank you again publicly for loaning us "Daisy Mae" on our D-Day Trip years back. I was the driver most of the time for our group. She was a good old girl.

If you are ever on this side of the pond, let me know :)
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Rodney Rushton
Draftee

Post by Rodney Rushton »

Hello Dr Duece
Nice to make your aquaintance again!
Check out on Google "Devon Strut" and Eggesford Airfield for pics of the toys I play with now!
All MV Nuts are welcome - might even manage a flight - and Cobbaton Combat Museum is just down the road.
Cheers
R