Newbie with basic question #1

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Newbie with basic question #1

Post by valleycityconrad »

Since I know practically nothing about the truck my dad drove in WWII, I'd better start at the beginning... What's this "CCKW" mean?

Billie
Nick Bombini
Captain
Captain

Post by Nick Bombini »

Here, this may help you. I pulled this info off of www.vehiclesofvictory.com but I believe it is here on this site too somewhere.

Year of design
A - 1939
B - 1940
C - 1941
D - 1942

Type
C - standard cab
F - Forward cab
U - Amphibian

Front Wheel Drive
K

Rear Wheel Drive
W

Longer than standard wheelbase
X

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

The -353 or -352 is a combination of the weight/series of truck; 300 in this case and ranges for the wheelbase within those size categories.

They never changed the CCKW model designation during production except to drop the X off of the CCKWX-353 models that were 1st produced. The Duck (DUKW) 1st produced in 1942 carries the D from 1942 in its designation.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Basically Billie, it was the model name or number of the GMC trucks manufactured during World War Two and with many variations off of the basic design, all for specific purposes, but CCKW is the basic model name.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks for the useful information!

I have a picture of Dad with his truck but it only shows the front driver's side. The cab is open except for a soft top (tarp?) and the doors have a large scoop out of the top. I can see the front of the bed and it is wooden slats with what looks like a rounded roll bar extending up past the height of the cab.

Dr Duece said:
"The -353 or -352 is a combination of the weight/series of truck; 300 in this case and ranges for the wheelbase within those size categories. "

Any ideas on what number may be assigned to Dad's truck given the very limited information above?!

I don't see an option to post pictures on this forum. Is there somewhere/someone I could email the picture to in order to identify the truck?

Thanks in advance for your help! I wish I'd asked my dad more questions when he was alive. He would have loved talking with you folks about these trucks if he'd lived to see the internet!
Billie Conrad
Proud daughter of William F Riffel
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
20th Air Force 58th Bomb Wing 25th Air Service Group
CBI, Tinian and Guam
42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

Hi Billie
when you first log on to the forum click on to message board that will tell you how to post pictures. You say the truck has a soft top on it so what you say looks like a rounded roll bar extending up past the height of the cab is most likely the cargo top bows , this was a common area of stowage when the rear cargo top was removed,they were hung over the cargo body just in back of the cab. If the cab top was off there would be a top bow that would look like a roll bar,it is used to hold up the rear canvas cab curtin and top canvas top. But you say you can see the soft top tarp so it must be the cargo top bows your seeing :wink: good luck posting your pictures, your dad and his truck made history thank's for his service they were truly, the greatest generation :!:
Last edited by 42cckw on Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degsy
Captain
Captain

Post by Degsy »

Hi Billie
If you have problems with your photo's if you e-mail them to bill@cckw.org I am sure he will post them for you and everybody on here will help as much as they can.

Regards
Degsy
GMC 352 B1
MVT
Over fifty mis-spent years of working on and
driving cars,trucks and agricultural and construction plant .
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm working on posting the picture. I emailed it to Bill and asked him to post it for me. I just can't figure out how to make it small enough! I guess I need my nine year old nephew to come over and give me another computer lesson!

The picture was taken in India in 1944. Dad was part of the 58th Bomb Wing sent to the CBI. From India the B-29s ferried supplies over the hump to staging bases in China. From there they were able to bomb Japan. I guess you guys/gals probably already know this stuff, but I just mention it because I wonder what part the 6x6 played in that operation. Some fliers have told me that they hitched a ride to the flight line in a 6x6. They've also said that it hauled every type of supply as well. I guess there's no way to really find out exactly what Dad did with his truck. But it's fun to imagine!
Billie Conrad
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
CBI, Tinian and Guam
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

ddI am looking forward to seeing the photo. I was lucky enough to meet a WWII truck driver s few years back and it was a real pleasure talking to the gentleman.
52 M38 Willy's

Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Billie Conrad
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
CBI, Tinian and Guam
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Well, I tried with the above post but, as I suspected, I don't know what I'm doing. Sorry!
Billie Conrad
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
CBI, Tinian and Guam
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I always just send my photos to Bill. I am too old to be real computer literate. Don't be embarrased, as there are those of us that can't do it either. :lol:
52 M38 Willy's

Nick Bombini
Captain
Captain

Post by Nick Bombini »

Here you go. Great picture!

If I am looking at it correctly, the truck would be an early 1943 because it does not have the lower door latch.

I don't know why it didn't work for you because you did it right.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 GPW
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hey!!!! There's my dad!!! What a handsome guy.

Thanks, Nick for posting it.

No door latch...so do you get in Dukes of Hazzard style?

So if it's a '43 then it's not a "C" CKW?

OK, enough dumb questions...what can all of you experts tell me about this truck. Don't hold back or assume things are obvious because, believe me, they're not obvious to me.
Billie Conrad
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
CBI, Tinian and Guam
Nick Bombini
Captain
Captain

Post by Nick Bombini »

The C for 1941 means that either that was the year it was designed or it was accepted by the military (I don't remember which, but both of those could also be wrong) but 1943 would be the year it was manufactured. The cabs, as you can see, have no metal doors so they were equipped with canvas doors on metal frames. The small latches held the doors closed.

You can see in the photo of the side of my cab that there are two holes on each side for the latches where your dad's truck only has one latch (the one below the hook where the rope is tied.)

I also noticed that your dad's truck has the late war running boards (you can tell by all of the brackets hanging on them to attach the tools like a shovel, axe, etc.) so it looks like it was rebuilt at some point with parts from other trucks. After seeing these other parts, I'll leave the date estimation to the guys that know more about the trucks than I do. Do you know when the photo was taken?

I hope I'm not overloading you with information :oops:.

Hey guys, if I goofed up on any of this info, please let me know so I know better next time.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 GPW
42cckw
Captain
Captain

Post by 42cckw »

It is a cckw and most likely a 1943 the wood cargo body ( all wood) started showing up on cckw production in march of 43 , if the picture had shown the entire hood registration number you could have narrowed it down considerably. That which you thought looked like a roll bar behind the cab is the top bow for the canvas cargo top, there were 5 of them. The truck does look to have the ever elusive wood steering wheel. I can see the spare tire handle which would make the truck a CCKW -353 long wheel base :wink: Also note behind your fathers left shoulder is the rifle holder minus the rifle. Good looking picture of your father he was a handsome man.I can see a patch on your dads shoulder can't make it out but it looks to be army air corp . Thanks for sharing it :) JIM 42CCKW
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Hi Billie,

Just a couple more things in your dad's photo. He is wearing an M1941 field jacket,and Jim is correct it is the USAAF patch on his left shoulder.

Do you have a copy of the history for your dad's unit? if not it maybe worth trying to get a copy(if indeed they did produce one). WW2 unit histories can be hard to find and your best bet is probably ebay.

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks, guys!

I can't believe you can give that much information on such a small picture of a truck! I stand in awe!

Here's some info from an earlier post on this thread...

"The picture was taken in India in 1944. Dad was part of the 58th Bomb Wing sent to the CBI. From India the B-29s ferried supplies over the hump to staging bases in China. From there they were able to bomb Japan. I guess you guys/gals probably already know this stuff, but I just mention it because I wonder what part the 6x6 played in that operation. Some fliers have told me that they hitched a ride to the flight line in a 6x6. They've also said that it hauled every type of supply as well. I guess there's no way to really find out exactly what Dad did with his truck. But it's fun to imagine!"

The patch on his shoulder is for the 20th Air Force.
Dad was 20th Air Force/58th Bomb Wing/25th Air Service Group
CBI, Tinian and Guam

There is another copy of this picture (the proof) that does show the entire hood number. It is 4220863. What can that tell us?

I've contacted AFHRA about obtaining Dad's unit information but they're as slow as molasass in February so I'm still waiting. St Louis said his file was destroyed in the fire, but I'm following up on that. Twenty percent of those files survived, my dad's may be one of them.

Thanks again for all the help!

Billie
Billie Conrad
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
CBI, Tinian and Guam
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Hi Billie,

As you say the AFHRA are slow,but I always have found them to be very helpful.

The files destroyed in the fire at St Louis were the 201 files,however even if you dad's file was amoung those burnt there are other sources for the same info and some records were reconstructed from several sources,eg VA records etc.

If there is anything specific you are trying to find out let me know as I've been researching the AAF for a number of years and have quite a bit of info on where different types of records can be found.

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
valleycityconrad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hi Matt,

You may be my new best friend!!

I have Dad's discharge paper but it has at least two errors on it. It lists him in the wrong squadron of the wrong ASG.

Dad was a truck driver but we remember him talking about being in the planes. I have a picture of him at home after the war and he is wearing what look to be aircrew wings. There is no evidence of this on his discharge. As a matter of fact, his discharge reads as if he did nothing during the war!
SERVICE SCHOOLS ATTENDED : NONE
QUALIFICATIONS : NONE
BATTLES AND CAMPAIGNS : NONE

Basic training then off to war I guess. I'd really like to get my hands on the morning reports but their website says that they don't copy those for research reasons. Only for benefits reasons.

Wasn't there a service school for truck drivers?
Billie Conrad
Truck Driver (lt) WWII
CBI, Tinian and Guam