oldest working GMC?

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
awg
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

oldest working GMC?

Post by awg »

My question was prompted by an article about a NM Mack that was still
working in the mid 90's at a local council. I heard of a CCKW that was fully rebuilt in 1998, also for a local council.

My CCKW was purchased in 2000 from a very large construction company,
Im not sure how long it had been dis-used for.

I saw a TV snippet about the Phillipines Army a couple of years ago, and I think I saw a CCKW transporting troops? it had rounded front fenders, unlike later trucks.

Does anyone know of CCKW still "in work" actively for commercial purposes?
CCKW 353 w/winch
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

I saw an open cab 353 in France in 2004 still being used as a pump by a village fire brigade,didn't get a picture of it though :(

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

There is this set of pictures that was sent to me....

Unsure if it is still being used.

http://www.cckw.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=9915#9915

Also there was a CCKW 335 fire truck that was on ebay within the last 18 months. (I believe it is now owned and now for sale by Army Cars USA) that indicated in the original auction that it had recently been removed from service.

I am sure they are still out there....
Paul
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Paul »

The GMC fire truck in the above picture is not in use anymore; the truck stood for 2 decades in a corner of the fire station and was restored in 2005-2006.

I photographed in the summer of 2006 a GMC which was some times still in use. The truck was used by an old iron dealer and is already for 40 years in his family, formally used by his father. The truck is equipped with a tipper body and a Perkins P6 diesel engine.
A few years ago a truck magazine in Holland had an article about the Philippines and then especially about the sugar island Negros where they still use GMC’s in great quantities, I don’t know if they are still using them.
I think that you’ve got still the possibility to find a ww2 era truck still in use.

Paul