Camoflage nets

Facts, Tips, Hints, and other snippets about the CCKW, Chevy, or DUKW
Hammerhead
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Camoflage nets

Post by Hammerhead »

I've got an original WWII camo net that I would like to display on my '44 CCKW. The problem is it's just the net and not any of the canvas strips. Looking at pictures from WWII there are random strips and not a solid camoflage cover. Does anyone have an idea where I can purchase the long strips of canvas so I can make the netting more authentic? Some time back one of the surplus catalogs I received in the mail had the canvas strips in rolls which would be perfect now. But I can't remember what company it was and an internet search now seems to only bring up the modern synthetic camo. :shock: Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D Thanks, Hammerhead
1944 GMC CCKW 353, 1943 BEN-HUR Trailer
1943 WC-52, 1944 WC-54 (dod 4/19/44), 1945 Willys MB,
4/44 Bantam T3, MVPA 12610, NRA life Member
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Somewhere I saw a TM type instruction on how and where to put the scrim. It wasn't just weaved straight between the blocks but there were alot of "L" shapes.

Who has that info? Joel?

Bill
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Vintage Video has a TF (Training Film) on vehicle camoflage.
It is WWII in color and the Army was still showing it in 1960-61 period. No rolls of netting on the truck.
Not a very spectacular film. but it is authentic. The roll of netting carried on the cowls of restored CCKWs is....well, when is the last time you have seen an acitve US Army truck driving around with a net on it? :wink:
It is quite "trendy" though.
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS