Correct Tire Chains?

Kit and Goodies to enhance the display of your Chevy/CCKW. This would include moving and static display and the particulars behind these items.
Cat Man
Major
Major

Correct Tire Chains?

Post by Cat Man »

For some time now, I've been collecting the tools, spares and other kit items specified for the CCKW. Makes a nice display and always starts a discussion.

Yesterday I was at an auction that had some military trucks - WWII and M series stuff. Old vet operated a wrecker and repair shop for 50 years.

In a weak moment I purchased four sets of HEAVY truck tire chains. They are marked "WEED" which I recall reading someware was the WWII tire chain maker for Uncle Sam. They are also marked -7.50-20 and two are marked "Dual".

The manual says a set is two single wheel (Front) and four dual wheel (rear) sets are carried on the vehicle. Can't find any photo's or details in my manuals.

Are these the correct chains? I don't expect to ever mount them but "hey, they were cheap enough so why not?"

Thanks

Cat Man[/Image[/img]]
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Tire Chains

Post by retro-roco »

Cat Man,

Nice find! By four sets, do you mean you bought 2 single sets, and and 2 dual sets (8 chains total), or 4 sets of 1 single, and two duals(24 chains total)?

Will you be selling or trading any :?: :wink:
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
John V Cliche
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by John V Cliche »

Nice Find Cat Man

Sounds like you got enough a 1 1/2 ton Chevy :wink: so far :lol:

I think the size of 7.50x20 is a sure bet for WW2 vehicles
Since Uncle Sam's vehicles went to 900x20 post war as the smallest "20 inch " size

Regards
John
42 Chevy G7117
44 Ford M20 armored car
44 CCKW 353 A1 660 gal Tanker
45 CCKW 353 B2 Air-portable
Ben Hur 1 ton trailer
MVPA#26900