looking for a dash/gauge panel /gauges

CCKW Parts Wanted. Please included location. This is a World Wide forum.
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

looking for a dash/gauge panel /gauges

Post by keven culbert »

need a gauge panel for my 40 chevy and gauges anyone have any there willing to get of from i have cash not just web surfing thanks
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Re: looking for a dash/gauge panel /gauges

Post by retro-roco »

1940 Chevy what? If you're talking about a 1-1/2 ton 4x4 (G506), I think it would have had a civilian gauge cluster rather than the military gauges.
Item Co., 23rd Inf. Regt., 2nd Div. WWII HRS
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

1942 Chevy 1-1/2 ton cargo w/ winch
194? Ben Hur water trailer
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

ya its a g506 and yes it had the round gauges originally the cab i used was a civillian model and i would like to have the round gauges
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

maybee it was a gmc im not shure as like i said the originall cab was shot doesent the gmc has a different number of loovers on the side panels for the hood than the chevy??? i think mine has 7 i have the dash peice from the truck but its about as thin as a peice of paper
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Post by retro-roco »

The Chevy G506 (1-1/2 ton) had side panels with only a few louvers (6-7??) while the GMC CCKW (2-1/2 ton) had louvers along the entire side panel. The reason I questioned it being a 1940 is that an early (1940, 1941, early 1942) closed cab would have had a dash with civilian gauges, and not round military ones. Seeing the pics of your truck, I think you have the latitude to use what ever you want without affecting the "originality" of you truck <LOL>!

I may have time to check out a parts truck this weekend when I'm back in Nebraska for Thanksgiving. How much are you willing to spend?
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

soo would my truck be a 43 then since it had the round gauges and yer rite about not being corect with the parts !!!! the cab on there now has all the civilian trim and gauges since it came of a 46 i think anyway farm truck1 1/2 2wd id like the round gauge panel for function more than anything and it would be more correct to the rest of the truck one ?? tho the original gauges would be 6 volt ?? or 12 i guess thats 2 questions thanks for your help
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

retro-roco wrote:The Chevy G506 (1-1/2 ton) had side panels with only a few louvers (6-7??) while the GMC CCKW (2-1/2 ton) had louvers along the entire side panel. The reason I questioned it being a 1940 is that an early (1940, 1941, early 1942) closed cab would have had a dash with civilian gauges, and not round military ones. Seeing the pics of your truck, I think you have the latitude to use what ever you want without affecting the "originality" of you truck <LOL>!

I may have time to check out a parts truck this weekend when I'm back in Nebraska for Thanksgiving. How much are you willing to spend?
i think its in the budget if you can find 2 i would buy em lol
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

retro-roco wrote:The Chevy G506 (1-1/2 ton) had side panels with only a few louvers (6-7??) while the GMC CCKW (2-1/2 ton) had louvers along the entire side panel. The reason I questioned it being a 1940 is that an early (1940, 1941, early 1942) closed cab would have had a dash with civilian gauges, and not round military ones. Seeing the pics of your truck, I think you have the latitude to use what ever you want without affecting the "originality" of you truck <LOL>!

i talked to the original owners son who is around 65years young real good old boy and he said the truck was a 43 or 44 the one side panel for the hood that i have has 6 louvers on it i only have a passenger side ? so i found a guy to make a set of them that are flat since my exhaust goes threw there and i didnt want to cut up a original one my neighbor fixed the hood up nice and is going to fix the doors and then paint it up over the winter oh ya almost forgot i took off the front michigan license plate and there was a number under it 317 i will put that back on there for shure when the paint is done
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

keven culbert wrote:

i talked to the original owners son who is around 65years young real good old boy and he said the truck was a 43 or 44 the one side panel for the hood that i have has 6 louvers on it i only have a passenger side ? so i found a guy to make a set of them that are flat since my exhaust goes threw there and i didnt want to cut up a original one my neighbor fixed the hood up nice and is going to fix the doors and then paint it up over the winter oh ya almost forgot i took off the front michigan license plate and there was a number under it 317 i will put that back on there for shure when the paint is done
any luck with gauge panel????
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Post by retro-roco »

Sorry, never made it to the salvage yard... wife thought seeing kids and family took priority over scrapping!?! :cry:
Of course she's right! Now that we live two states away from the kids and family we have to take advantage of every chance to see them that we get...
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

rixtoys52
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rixtoys52 »

looks like you are building quite a beast of a truck Keven, how about more pics and info on your build ? :D I would like to check it out !
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

retro-roco wrote:Sorry, never made it to the salvage yard... wife thought seeing kids and family took priority over scrapping!?! :cry:
Of course she's right! Now that we live two states away from the kids and family we have to take advantage of every chance to see them that we get...
no problem there bud my kid lives only 2 hours away but it might as well be 500
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

Image this is what i started with
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

notice the lowered roof we drug this down the paved road about 8 miles ruff ruff ruff had been siting about 20 years got it for 200 $$$ i started by removing the frozen up engine and trans then built new front and rear spring hangers to use leaf springs for a 73 to87 chevy 1 ton truck just about everything on the frame has been redone as far as function and for safety i had a 350 out of a car and put that in with a 350 turbo auto behind the radiator is mounted behind the cab with electric fans the engine didnt last too long and have since changed it to a 383 stroker motor that dynoed at 415 hp 388 tourqe with a built 2 speed powerglide transmission its pretty hairry to drive the rear wants to pass the front iff im too heavy on the go pedal lol
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

Image this is a vid of my truck at a local county run orv 4x4 park called the mounds in genesse couty michigan this was with the worn out almost 300.000 miles lti 350 engine first time out for testing lol
keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

keven culbert wrote:Image this is a vid of my truck at a local county run orv 4x4 park called the mounds in genesse couty michigan this was with the worn out almost 300.000 miles lti 350 engine first time out for testing lol
should be able to click on pic for video
retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Post by retro-roco »

keven culbert wrote:Image this is what i started with
What happened to the hood? Too far gone? did you repair or replace the drivers fender? You might want to look into beefing up your frame with "fishplate". They are notorious for cracking under the cab...
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

retro-roco
Captain
Captain

Post by retro-roco »

Keven,

Sent you a couple of PM's. Check your messages!
(Retro-Roco)
Bloomington, IL

keven culbert
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by keven culbert »

pms sent thanks for the input and info i been working on this truck almost daily as im in the slow season for road construction here in michigan soo lots of time for tinkering and making upgrades working on making a brace that will reinforce the front edge of the fenders so they wont split at the end of the brush gard/grill coming out pretty good so far cant really notice its there when ill post some pics up when done