Ben Hur Trailers found

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
oldreliable9_47
Captain
Captain

Ben Hur Trailers found

Post by oldreliable9_47 »

I haverecently discovered 2 Ben Hur Trailers not far from me today. One is painted orange :roll: all metal and the other one is black paint over orange..yet both are about 20 miles apart...I looked them over and heres my problem

1. Both are missing leaf springs
2. Both have modern ball tongues
3 One is missing both fenders
4. Both have all wiring remove
5. Both have hand brake missing
6. Bodies on both are in good shape with minimal rust through in bed corners.

How difficult would it be to find the tongues and landing wheels, fenders, etc.? or can anybody point me in the right direction to some good sources for these parts.

I hope these are not silly questions since I know absolutely nothing about finding spare parts for these..but really want to save them since I have a chance to grab them both for $100
Thanks!
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana
GMC CCKW 353
MVPA #29624
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Hi Mark,

I'd say grab them,all the missing parts can be found in europe so if you don't mind shipping you can get everything you need. if you need a UK ship to address you can use mine.

cheers,

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Mark,

I agree with Matt....Grab them!

I just saw the other day, somewhere in my web travels, a complete used hitch setup (with lunnet, lunnet bracket, landing leg, and steel wheel) for $100. I also saw a couple of these setups at the Gilbert Red ball show used.

I don't remember the site but I am sure I will come across it again. It was a link on a link on a link thing.

I have seen everything available over the last year except leaf springs. Given time you will stumble across it in the US.

If you buy let us know....I will keep my eyes open this time.

Bill
oldreliable9_47
Captain
Captain

are these G518 trailers?

I grabbed up some pictures of the trailers I found. See what you guys think...Ive compared them to trailers on this site and right off notice a few differences like stake pockets on the tail gate...one has hooks to secure the gate...

Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana
GMC CCKW 353
MVPA #29624
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

On some site there were pictures of a pre-war Ben Hur. I think it looked much like these but I do believe it had springs on the axles.

Might have been the G503 site.

Bill
oldreliable9_47
Captain
Captain

I spoke with Jeo Gopan today and he said these are civilian copies of the 1 ton and pointed out several differences to me. I shall pass and keep on looking
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana
GMC CCKW 353
MVPA #29624