Next project...A Wood Ben Hur

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Catman,

The wood that I used was purchased at Aberdeen from an individual who gave up on his Wood Ben Hur trailer due to steel frame issues. It was all precut and tongue and grooved.

I would stongly recommend doing tongue and groove or you may have a mismatch due to warps in the fender area. The fenders on the upper part are just bolted (supported) by the wood sides.

I went with standard carriage bolts instead of the larger head step bolts. a number of reasons.

1 Most of the heads are on the inside and not readily visible when tarped. (I know it won't win any awards but I deem the extra expense a waste).

2 A wider availability of lengths on the carriage bolt thus eliminating lots of cut off waste.

3. Cost...the carriage bolts were about 1/4 the cost of the original style. I did use square nuts and still had to cut some down. I bought my fastening hardware at boltdepot.com and saved at least another 50% over the local Home Depot. It still cost a little over $100 for the bolts, nuts, and washers.

Suggestions:

Use a 12 point rachet flex head wrench or 12 point socket for the square nuts. Using an Open end wrench is a big PIA.
Measure twice then cut.
As Joel once suggested pretreat before painting with Turpentine and Linseed Oil. I spray painted a coat of Gillespee 33070 prior to assembly on at least the bottom side. Bolted it up. Etch primed the bolts and then resprayed the whole trailer.

This is one HMV I really enjoyed restoring.

One note in the picture it looks like the Geneva cross is wavey. I used just masking tape as a stencil and the lines came out crisp and clean. It is just the picture optimization to reduce size that fuzzies the look.

I would love to see pictures of yours when you are done.

Bill
Last edited by Bill_Wolf on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Fantastic job Bill. You are the master. :D :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans