Next project...A Wood Ben Hur

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Next project...A Wood Ben Hur

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Now that the Steel Ben Hur is done I am working on my Wood Ben Hur.

This is the way I bought it.

This is the way it looks today.

A test fit of the wood sides.

Needs to be done in 2 weeks for the Weare Rally
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

that looks a nice thorough job and love the wood work
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

I should have updated the post....

This is what it looked like at the end of July....

armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Wow, that is beautiful. Great jopb.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
halifaxgroup
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Ben Hur

Post by halifaxgroup »

Could you post a few pictures of the blackout light switch on your metal Ben Hur? No rush. Your work looks really nice. Inspired by your 55 gallon motor oil drums I am going to paint some old ZEP windshield washer drums OD as well. Thanks in advance. Paul
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 Ben Hur
M-20 Armored Utility Car
And 3 CCKW's!
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

I can not take credit for the drum....

That is Dr. "Michelangelo" Duece's work.... :lol:

:oops: And I am sorry to say that in all my resto pictures I have no pictures of the B/O light switch on my Steel trailer and she is put away for the winter. It is the same switch as the wood body it is just mounted differently.

Bill
halifaxgroup
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Ben Hur

Post by halifaxgroup »

I have the wiring harness w/switch and inter-vehicle cable, but as you write the switch is mounted differently on the metal trailer, but the TM's do not show where it goes or how it is attached. I am not starting the trailer until the late spring so no rush. I am knee deep in finishing my WC62 for a while.

Again, really nice work! Paul
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 Ben Hur
M-20 Armored Utility Car
And 3 CCKW's!
timpage
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by timpage »

So how common were the wooden Ben Hur trailers? Versus the metal ones?
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by dr deuce »

Dr. "Michelangelo" Duece got 4 more 55 gallons in a pallet today. Took the deuce to work to get them. They forked them right in. How to get them out....

They will be ready for Weare 2007! I have a stencil made for "MOTOR OIL SAE 30" and another one for the smaller barrels "GREASE LONG FIBRE"

They do add a lot along with all the other accutrements such as ammo boxes, web gear, sand bags, and radios to name a few.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
KEVINABR
Major
Major

Post by KEVINABR »

well done a lovely job, i have a wooden ben hur one day i ,ll strip her back and do what you have done but i have to restore my M7 right now :wink: :wink:
Colin Britton
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Wooden Ben Hur

Post by Colin Britton »

Nice job on the trailer, looks great, kind of a shame to cover up all your hard work of stripping, scraping and sanding the trailer frame and axel assembly with all that wood. The trailer even looked good in skeleton form. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....
And being an army medic I cant help but admire the beautiful Dodge WC 54 Ambulance in the background.
One day I maybe able to get one, but they are alittle expensive for a soldiers salary. (even with jump pay)
But to the owner, nice WC 54. I'm jealous....
ATW,
Doc Britton.

1945 353-B2 W/W with 1943 Trackson Co. M-36 Gun Mount
1944 Ford M-20 Armored Car
1943 Steel body Ben Hur trailer
1944 MB w/GPW engine (project) On hold M-20 restoration has OPERATIONAL PRIORITY
Active Duty Paratrooper 82nd Abn. Div.
2nd BDE. 325 A.I.R.
3rd BCT 2-505 P.I.R
407th BSB Trauma Team SGT/Leader
Combat Medic
Fmr. Combat Engr. 307th Engr. Bn. Abn.
14 years in the 82nd. Americas Guard of Honor
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Wooden Ben Hur

Post by Bill_Wolf »

Colin Britton wrote: And being an army medic I cant help but admire the beautiful Dodge WC 54 Ambulance in the background.
One day I maybe able to get one, but they are alittle expensive for a soldiers salary. (even with jump pay)
But to the owner, nice WC 54. I'm jealous....
Aw...shucks Doc.....

You're just sayin' that to butter up the webmaster...As that would be my WC 54.

I saved her from the boneyard.

My plans are to make the Wood Ben Hur into a med trailer to carry around the WWII impression med stuff I have by towing it behind the WC.

Just need to make a wood side rack set for this one and then buy a trailer tarpaulin and put a Geneva cross on it. This spring I hope.

Bill
Capt Lee P
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Electrical hookup

Post by Capt Lee P »

Hi

My wooden Ben Hur Trailer came with the electrical plug in cable held to the frame via plastic tie straps. What is the correct routing of the electrical cord from the lunettee eye back to the rear lights?
Capt Lee, Vietnam Vet, US Army, 1942 GPW, 1944 WC-51, 1943 Batnam T-3, 1943 Ben Hur (wood), 1944 CCKW B2 353
halifaxgroup
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

G-518 Marble Reflectors

Post by halifaxgroup »

Some comments and advice needed regarding my metal body Ben Hur. The manual clearly shows that the four marble reflectors utilized are the type with large reflectors with two attaching points. However, I have an original marble reflector on a metal Ben Hur that has four attaching points as well as the smaller marbles. It looks like it has been on the trailer since its manufacture. Same worn out Olive Drab paint, same type of wear and rust, etc. Anyone else have evidence that these were used as well as the ones shown in the manual? Thanks Paul
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 Ben Hur
M-20 Armored Utility Car
And 3 CCKW's!
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

With all the hard work in taking that Ben Hur back to the bare frame <which I agree looks Outstanding just like that >Then putting all new solid wood back on with all its hardware she's good to go for another 50 plus years !!! Kind of a shame to cover it up with the racks and canvas...... ah well thats what the completed look is , WELL DONE!!!
Whats your opinion of what a Ben Hur should be Wood or Metal since you have both .
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

ABN,

I personally like the wood better. I think it looks more WWII authentic.

I have worked on the trailer a little more since the last post. I have built tarpaulin sides for it (need to paint them OD) and have made it into a medical unit trailer with all my LHD medical stuff loaded inside. It will be towed behind the Ambulance.

Here are a couple of pictures of it from our Weare Rally that occurred last week.

Last edited by Bill_Wolf on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abn CCKW

Wood or Steel bodies

Post by abn CCKW »

She Look's Awesome . Glad you were able to get all that done in time for the rallie . I agree with you I like the look of the wooden Ben Hurs
Capt Lee P
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Wooden Ben Hur's

Post by Capt Lee P »

Again, great job!

In case you missed my question on the lead picture site: does the wooden trailers have rear reflectors?

I just got the metal brackets for the tail lights and my "Dutch" Ben Hur has reflectors mounted in the location of where the tail lights should be.

Thanks, Lee
Capt Lee, Vietnam Vet, US Army, 1942 GPW, 1944 WC-51, 1943 Batnam T-3, 1943 Ben Hur (wood), 1944 CCKW B2 353
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

It is supposed to have reflectors.

The previous ones were mounted on the fenders (you can still see the holes). I know that is not right so I have been watching and waiting to find pics of the correct placement.

Adries trailer on the main site is the closest representation I have seen so far.

If you have additional information or pictures please post or PM me.

Bill
Cat Man
Major
Major

Wood Body Ben Hur

Post by Cat Man »

Weasel,

She looks great. Two questions.

Did you butt the edges of the side and front/ back boards together and just bolt then into the corners? Or did you go whole hog and have the boards tongue and grooved on edge like the originals?

I have the lumber for mine all cut and seasoned. Don't know it I want to do the edges or not? I've considered dowling them and / or just glueing and clamping the sides and ends.

Did you use carriage bolts? Or were you able to find a source for the correct "Step Bolts" like the originals? I'm about to give up and use the smaller head carriage bolts.

Any advice would help my project.

Thanks

Cat Man
40 Years An Engine Guy
30 Years A Caterpillar Guy
Still Learning Every Day