Towing an AT gun

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Towing an AT gun

Post by dr deuce »

I had an "experience" today towing the 37mm AT gun. I have towed this many times with both the deuce, and more appropiately with the 42 Ford Jeep.

I was leaving my friends house where it had been for a couple months or so. Everything was all set; flag, light, safety chains, lunette closed and locked (as well as those cheap sheetmatel WW2 ones close and lock...)

I started off and periodically checked the side mirror on the jeep to see that it was tracking OK. I cannot see it at all in the windshield rear view.

I rounded a corner and looked. NO GUN IN VIEW! Sheet..............!!!!!!!!!!

So I did what any person would do and stepped on the brakes. And suddenly it appeared trying to pass me!

What had happened was that the trail lock had come undone. It locks the 2 trail arms together. When locked, it forms a rigid triangle The other end of the arms is attached to the axle of the gun with a pin so it can pivot. WIthout the locked triangle, I was towing the gun with one arm that could pivot on the axle so when I was pulling it, it tried to get onto the sidewalk. When I slowed down, it tried to come up beside me.

Soooo in addition to checking the chains etc, I now will check the trail lock to see that it is not unlocked!

I was lucky....
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

I m sure you will , That must have been a Heart Stopper the instant you had that happening, all the possable outcomes and results all at once flashing thru your mind! Glad that nothing was damaged