Identifying my trailer

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
Ross Aylward
Draftee

Identifying my trailer

Post by Ross Aylward »

Hi,

I am Ross from Hampshire in the UK.

I am currently renovating a steel body Ben Hur which was bought out of French Army service recently. Unfortunately the previous continental owners have removed the data plates!

Are there any chasis numbers or other identifying marks that I could look for to try and discover who made it? Ideally I would like to put a USA number on the trailer that will suit it rather than a complete guess!

If it is of use, it has the solid steel type jockey wheel.

Any help welcome.

I will try to add some pics soon.
Regards,

Ross
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

I am like you Ross, I too am restoring a Ben Hur type trailer with no data plate and have yet to find any serial numbers or other identifying markings on it. I hope we both can learn from this site what we want to know. :D
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Bill_Wolf
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Bill_Wolf »

In all my reasearch on the G-518 one ton trailer there has not been any indication that they ever stamped the serial number of the unit anywhere on the frame like the did with Jeep Trailers.

Thus unless someone did during a depot repair or rebuild if you don't have the data-plate you are out of luck.

You can trace back the manufacturer of the trailer if you do have the original USA number that was paiinted ont he side. There is a conversion table on the main CCKW website under trailers that will tell you the USA number range versus the contract number assigned to the manufacturer.

http://www.cckw.org/G518_USA_Numbers.htm

Good Luck.

Bill
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

Thanks Bill
I was afraid that this might be the case. Thats OK, My 44 Ben Hur is a parts trailer because of the fact a lot of it is missing, but the original data plate is intact, so guess what :lol: ? My more complete trailer is fixing to be a 44 regardless.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
Ross Aylward
Draftee

Never mind...

Post by Ross Aylward »

Thanks Bill,

I too thought this might be the case. I have already taken the paint back to metal on one side and found the original US OD paint in places but no legible numbers.

Better luck on the other side I hope!

I have emailed some photos of it during its restoration (last weekend) to the trailer gallery.

Regards,

Ross
Regards,

Ross