Pictures of the New Trailer

CCKW Trailer Technical and Repair Questions. Restricted to Trailers pulled by CCKW's /Chevy's/ and other 10 wheel trucks.
33rdsignal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pictures of the New Trailer

Post by 33rdsignal »

I picked up a very complete and in excellent condition 1942 Wooden Ben Hur made by Nash Kelvinator. I've posted pics in my photobucket

http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/33rdsignal/
Chad Phillips
33rd Signal Construction Battalion Reenactors
www.33rdsignal.com
abn CCKW

Re: Pictures of the New Trailer

Post by abn CCKW »

Great find , aside from the wrong tail lights it looks like a good restoration project , the wood seems to be in good shape , visually speaking . The trailer canvas can be purchased from several sources but they are not cheap .
rgus
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by rgus »

I don't think I have ever seen a nicer original wooden trailer. The wood still is in excellent condition after so many years. You can tell it spent it's life under cover. I think the wooden ones have more character than the steel ones. Congrats. great find.
1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 GPW 146495
1945 WC52 818682
1943 WC63
1945 Ben Hur
33rdsignal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 33rdsignal »

the story i got from the guy was that, after the war it was surplused out(hence all the surplus painted on it) it was purchased by a farmer who put a heat lamp in it and used it as an incubator for his chickens, so it was stored in a barn for over 45 years. Only problem is, it smells like crap!.

Chad
abn CCKW

Post by abn CCKW »

I d guess give it a gentle cleaning with soap and water to preserve the remaining paint . then put it outdoors on dry days and perhaps the odor will diminish over time . Or you could replace all the wood and sandblast the frame .