WW2 55 gallon drum color

Miscellaneous other stuff having to do with Military Vehicles and Trucks....NO POLITICS!

This will be monitored!
dr deuce
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

WW2 55 gallon drum color

Post by dr deuce »

Does anyone know what color they were? I seem to recall seeing ones that were darker colored, more like M-series.

What would be stencilled on them?

"Oil, SAE 30"

"Part Number: 123456"

Making a display and received the 1st drum. Winter is a great time to cut stencils!
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
1942 CCKW closed cab shopvan
1943 CCKW closed cab cargo w/M32 MG mount
1944 CCKW open cab LeRoi Kompressor
1944 CCKW open cab F1 Aircraft fueler tanker
1945 CCKW open cab cargo w/artic cab
1942 Chev cargo
1942 Chev K51 Panel
1944 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 GPW Jeep
http://home.comcast.net/~cckw/wsb/html/ ... 59870.html
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Well I have an early WW2 55 gallon drum marked US Army Air Corps etc and that has never been painted,it's galvanized finish.I have seen colour WW2 photos of them painted black.

Hope this helps,

Matt.
March 1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car,1229th QM.
Oct.1943 Dodge WC-52 Weapons Carrier,854th BS.
Jan.1943 CCKW LeRoi Compressor.
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Check with the ARs being offered by Portrayal Press on marking of WWII Equipment. The Paint used would be the lusterless OD paint used in WWII in the grades that would have no rust inhibiters nor would there be primer called for, as the Drums were expendable. Color would be comparable to 319 Lusterless, and in some instances SG was used. Availability of correct paint would be a factor,and substitutes of better paints were likely used as they had to keep up the flow of supplies. I have WWII Paint Cans and lubricants that have same color as the little WWII cans of PLS, Bore Cleaner, and Foot Powder you see at flea markets I have the manuals for painting Ammo Boxes, trucks, Ammunition, etc but they are Mis placed and I would not know where to start. I have over 1000 WWII and Korean manuals on trucks, tanks, and U name it. The Library is private and low on my priority of keeping sorted. Find a WWII can of Foot Powder, and you will see that it is the same shade as Army Jeep Parts WWII Green (2430). I have a quart can of 1950/51 Amoco OE-30 with yellow markings and it is the same as the surplus drums of oil from the 40s.
Joel
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
mick.wilson
Captain
Captain

Post by mick.wilson »

We just painted them the same as the trucks.

Mick

ImageImageImage

514th Q.M T.C We deliver everything, except babies
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

OD lusterless green with normal white markings. I have one that was salvaged from my grandfathers barn that also has Humble Oil Company, Houston with a 1943 contract number on it. It was a drum of cosmoline that my grandfather bought at auction at the Red River Arsenel after the war and they used at grease on his farm.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans
joel gopan
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by joel gopan »

Thanks for the input AD
44 MB 356378- 54 M-38A1-41 CCKW 352-51 M-37-42TW6-45MBT-43 M1 BOMB LIFT (WEAVER)- RECORD SETTING HONOR GRADUATE Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School, U.S. ARMY 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL 1962 - MVPA 1064 - RED BALL CHAPTER - PHONY VETERAN HEADHUNTER - ARMY FIXED & ROTARY WING MECHANIC/CREWCHIEF-STILL FIT WARBIRD COCKPITS
armydriver
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by armydriver »

You are quite welcomed Joel. Information is the tool to education and the more information we share on this site the more we know. It is nice to be recognized by ones peers as providing pertanant information for others to use.
52 M38 Willy's
Former owner and restorer of CCKW353 " Betty Boop"

proud father of a career Army officer/Blackhawk pilot/ War in Iraq veteran
Retired high school history teacher at Lt. Colonel Robert G. Cole CMH High School, Fort Sam Houston Texas
proud great grandson of four Confederate soldiers.
great great grandson of a War of 1812 veteran
great great great grandson of 2 American Revolutionary war veterans